Associates in Science Degree
The Aviation Science Technology Associate Degree program combines academic studies and flight training to prepare graduates for a wide variety of positions within the air transportation industry, including general, airline, and corporate aviation.
The curriculum provides the flight training necessary to operate in the high-density environment of modern airspace. All flight training courses are taken at an FAA-certified and licensed facility. Through the course of the Associate in Science Degree in Aviation Science Technology program, students will be eligible to take the following Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certification examinations: Private Pilot, Commercial Pilot, Instrument Pilot, and Flight Instructor. Students will be eligible to take the Instrument Flight Instructor, Multi-Engine, and Multi-Engine Instructor certification examinations through the course of the Associate in Science Degree in Advanced Aviation Science Technology.
The program emphasizes critical thinking and analytical skills, as well as oral and written communication skills. Effective resource management, human factors, and safety awareness are constantly emphasized throughout the curriculum. Complementing the intensive flight training is classroom instruction and use of flight simulators.
The program prepares graduates for careers in government and civil aviation organizations as professional pilots and flight operations managers, including executive, corporate, agricultural, and air carrier operations. The typical career path starts as a certified flight instructor and leads to positions with airlines and corporate flight departments.
Upon graduation with either the Associate in Science Degree in Aviation Science Technology or the Associate in Science Degree in Advanced Aviation Science Technology, students are prepared to continue their education with a bachelor of science in Business Management Technology at New England Tech.
Program Mission, Goals, and Outcomes
Program Mission Statement:
The mission of the Advanced Aviation Science Technology (AAST) Program is to provide additional aviation education upon completion of the Aviation Science Technology program. A combination of advanced flight and technical aviation courses further develop the student’s ability to prepare for employment.
- The AAST program will provide appropriate learning opportunities for students to acquire the theoretical knowledge, applicable skills and attitude necessary for entry-level positions in the aviation industry.
- The AAST program will prepare students with the minimum requirements necessary to qualify for the following FAA examinations: Instrument Flight Instructor, Multi-Engine and Multi-Engine Instructor.
- The AAST program will endeavor to instill in the student a sense of commitment to the aviation industry’s professional core values and ethics.
- The AAST program will provide appropriate learning opportunities for students to develop advanced proficiencies leading to additional opportunities for employment in the aviation industry.
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Successfully complete all FAA-required examinations for the Instrument Flight Instructor, Multi-Engine and Multi-Engine Instructor licenses.
- Demonstrate attitudes, values and behaviors congruent with the aviation industry’s core values and ethics.
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication using correct technical terminology.
Associate in Science Degree
- AST 110 Private Pilot Ground
- AST 113 Private Pilot Flight
- SCI 114 Meteorology
- AST 120 Commercial Pilot Ground
- AST 123 Private Pilot Flight II
- AST 124 Aviation Safety
- AST 130 Instrument Pilot Ground
- AST 133 Commercial Pilot Flight
- AST 243 Air Traffic Control
- AST 244 Instrument Pilot Flight
- AST 255 Commercial Pilot Flight II
- AST 253 Airport Operations and Management
- AST 254 Aviation Law and Regulations
- AST 260 Instructor Pilot Ground
- AST 263 Commercial Flight III
- AST 264 Crew Resource Management
- AST 270 Advanced Ground
- AST 273 Certified Flight Instructor Flight
- AST 275 Multi-Engine Flight
- AST 274 Advanced Aircraft Systems
- AST 283 Advanced Navigation
- AST 284 Advanced Flight Operations
- AST 285 Certified Flight Instructor Instrument Flight
- AST 287 Multi-Engine Instructor Flight