The Graphics, Multimedia and Web Design associate program prepares you for a position in a variety of emerging media and desktop production environments. Develop core visual communication skills, including digital photography and computer graphics. Get hands-on, project-oriented instruction in web design, graphic design, e-publishing, interactive multimedia, and typography.
Associate in Science Degree
The Graphics, Multimedia and Web Design (GMW) Technology associate program prepares students for entry-level positions in a variety of emerging media and desktop production environments. The underlying goal of visual creativity is central to all of the technological coursework, and each student will produce and design a personal “brand” to package and promote their portfolios.
Starting with the core skills of digital photography, design, and computer graphics, students receive hands-on, project-oriented instruction in web design, graphic design, e-publishing, interactive multimedia, branding, and typography. A wide variety of industry standard software is used.
Upon completion of the Associate in Science Degree in Graphics, Multimedia and Web Design, students will have the opportunity to matriculate to the Bachelor of Science Degree in Graphics, Multimedia and Web Design.
Program Mission, Goals, and Outcomes
The mission of the Graphics, Multimedia and Web Design Technology (GMW) associate degree program is to prepare students for entry-level positions in a variety of creative new media environments. The program is designed to teach students core design skills, hands-on project-oriented instruction in graphics, web design, multimedia, ePublishing, and web animation. Students will also design and produce a personal “brand” to package and present their portfolios.
The GMW program will:
- Provide learning opportunities for students to acquire the theoretical knowledge, applicable skills and attitude necessary to function as an entry-level multimedia, web, or graphic designer.
- Instill in students the ability to continue with life-long learning, digital desktop creativity, and professional growth.
- Prepare students to create projects on their own or in teams with each student assuming responsibility for the production process.
- Prepare students to create and maintain their digital portfolio deployed via cloud or web server.
GMW students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of various multimedia, web, and ePublishing software applications to build project-specific content.
- Recognize effective vs. ineffective elements of design.
- Understand and practice respect for copyright laws and regulations as they pertain to digital creation.
- Demonstrate effective oral, visual, and written communication with supervisors, colleagues, clients (e.g. instructors), and the intended audience.
- Demonstrate effective planning, strategizing, development and budgeting of project production.
Associate in Science Degree
- GMW 100 Digital Photography
- GMW 112 Digital Graphics
- GMW 123 Design I
- GMW 110 Introduction to Web Design
- GMW 205 Digital Photography II
- GMW 223 Design II
- GMW 102 Digital Illustration
- GMW 122 HTML
- GMW 201 Intro to Typography
- GMW 141 Design III
- GMW 212 Digital Graphics II
- GMW 231 Digital Publishing I
- SO 220 Internet and Society
- GMW 129 Project Planning and Estimating
- GMW 220 UI/UX Design
- GMW 232 Digital Publishing II
- GMW 233 Package Design I
- GMW 215 Web Content Management With WordPress
- GMW 272 Associate Portfolio
- GMW 251 Special Topics GMW
- GMW 280 Cooperative Work Experience