Video and Audio Production Technology
Associate in Science Degree
The Associate Degree in Video and Audio Production (VAP) Technology program provides a fusion of technology and creativity that prepares students for work in the broadcast and non-broadcast industry of video, audio, and radio production.
Through a combination of theoretical, practical, and team building experiences, the program creates a real-world working environment to prepare the student for the challenging and competitive world of media production.
The program is characterized by the use of a project-oriented approach with an emphasis on program development and team building skills that are required by these industries. Students are exposed to analog and digital broadcast-quality equipment while acquiring both theoretical and practical knowledge.
Upon completion of the Associate in Science Degree in Video and Audio Production Technology, students will be qualified to obtain employment in the following industries: broadcast/non-broadcast television, radio and audio recording. Students are prepared for careers in video production which include: director, technical director, lighting director, camera operator, master control operator, videographer, video editor, producer and production assistant.
Opportunities in Audio and Radio Production include: recording technician, board director, editor, video and radio producer, copywriter and on-air talent.
“When we look for employees, we look for people with a passion and that want to succeed in television. Graduates from New England Tech always show their enthusiasm and have the skills that are needed for this business.
We’ve hired New England Tech grads in the past and they’ve been great. With regard to experience, they come in with a broad knowledge of all of the equipment and are really well versed in new technology. They are a step above because they have that real experience.”
Chris Raffa, Creative Services Director
CW28, Providence, RI
Program Mission, Goals and Outcomes
The mission of the Video and Audio Production (VAP) Technology program is to provide a fusion of technology and creativity that prepares students for work in the broadcast and non-broadcast industry of video, audio, and radio production.
Through a combination of theoretical, practical, and team building experience, the program creates a real-world working environment to prepare the student for the challenging and competitive world of media production.
The VAP program will:
1. Provide appropriate learning opportunities for students to acquire the theoretical knowledge, technical skills, and attitude necessary to obtain entry-level positions in broadcast/non-broadcast television, audio recording, and the radio industry.
2. Expose students to a wide range of disciplines within the video, audio and radio production industry.
3. Offer students the opportunity to become critical thinkers, problem solvers and creative producers.
4. Instill in the students the proper attitude and work ethic required to succeed in the industry.
Graduates of this program will be able to:
1. Function as member of a production team.
2. Create a video program proposal
3. Create and follow a production schedule.
4. Operate the necessary pieces of equipment proficiently and creatively to produce a video, audio and/or radio production.
5. Operate the necessary software proficiently and creatively to edit a video, audio and/or radio program.
6. Continue to gain knowledge and skills by continuing their education in the Digital Recording Arts Technology B.S. degree program.
COM 101 Video Techniques/Studio I
COM 118 Scriptwriting
COM 105 Visual Design
COM 125 Digital Editing
COM 127 Field Shooting/Lighting
COM 106 Motion Graphics
COM 136 Audio Recording
COM 211 Media Ethics
COM 215 Corporate Media
COM 134 Studio Production
COM 146 Audio Recording II
COM 223 Broadcast Sales and Video Distribution
COM 227 Radio 1 - Programming
COM 231 Digital Filmmaking
COM 237 Radio II – Talk and Information
COM 250 Associate Portfolio
COM 232 Associate Final Project
COM 230 Cooperative Work Experience