Mechanical Engineering Technology
The Mechanical Engineering program concentrates on product design through the study of design principles, problem-solving, engineering materials, and manufacturing processes and machines. Learn about electricity and electronics, metrology, tool design, and more. Become qualified for multiple technologist positions, including product designer, CAD designer, R&D technician, and tool designer
Associate in Science Degree
Students in the Associate’s Degree program for Mechanical Engineering Technology concentrate on product design. They study the design of products by learning design principles, sketching, problem solving, and how both the engineering materials and manufacturing processes and machines are selected and scheduled in Mechanical Design Technology. Students gain a wide background of knowledge in such areas as electricity and electronics, metrology and the measurements of products, manufacturing processes, and tool design. Design is emphasized utilizing the latest in computer drafting technology (CADD).
Graduates of the Mechanical Engineering Technology with concentration in Product Design program are prepared for several types of design and technologist positions on these teams including positions such as product designer, CADD designer, tool designer, R&D technician, or manufacturing technician.
The graduate with an Associate in Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology is eligible to continue on for a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology.
“We look for candidates who have a combination of both practical, hands-on experience, as well as solid education. We have found that New England Tech graduates fit that need quite nicely. We’ve hired New England Tech grads in the past and have been thrilled because they come to us prepared for the task at hand and, within a short period of time, the New England Tech grads have been able to expand their careers.
The first place I come when I have an opening is New England Tech.”
Mari-Ann Oliveira, Human Resources
Composite Modules, Attleboro, MA
Program Mission, Objectives, and Outcomes
The mission of the Associate of Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology is to provide students to a concentration on product design. They study the design of products by learning design principles, sketching, problem solving, and how both the engineering materials and manufacturing processes are selected and scheduled. Students gain a wide background of knowledge in such areas as electricity and electronics, metrology and the measurements of products, manufacturing processes, and engineering documentation. Design is emphasized utilizing the latest in computer drafting technology (CADD).
Program Educational Objectives
- Graduates from the Associate of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology will have gained the knowledge, problem-solving abilities, and hands-on skills to succeed in a career in the manufacturing, design, specification, installation, testing, operation, maintenance, sales, or documentation of mechanical systems.
- Graduates from the Associate of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology will be able to employ communication and teamwork skills to effectively bridge the gap between professional engineers and skilled production workers and to assist engineers to design, develop, and manufacture industrial machinery and consumer products.
- Graduates from the Associate of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology will be able to apply knowledge and a propensity for learning to continuously develop new skills and to learn about new areas needed for long-term career development, including science, engineering, and technology knowledge and communication and teamwork skills.
- Graduates from the Associate of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology will achieve professional employment within the broad field of mechanical engineering technology or related disciplines.
- Develop skills in logical thinking and problem solving.
- Develop professionalism and quality workmanship.
- Develop oral and written communication skills.
- Develop ability to work productively with others.
- Develop skill in the practical design of mechanical parts and assemblies.
- Develop skill in applying math in problem solving, analysis, and design.
- Develop skill in analysis and design of mechanical systems.
- Develop skill in operations management and project planning.
Develop skill in utilizing and applying discipline-specific computer software.
Associate in Science Degree
MCT 112 Intro. to Mechanical Engineering Technology
MCT 113 Design Principles
MCT 115 Computer Aided Design I
MCT 124 Computer Aided Design II
MCT 125 Manufacturing Processes
MCT 123 Engineering Documentation
MCT 136 Electricity/Electronics
MCT 213 Metrology
MCT 130 Engineering Materials
MCT 215 Statics
MCT 224 Mechanics of Materials
MCT 240 Kinematics
MCT 239 Quality
MCT 235 Automation
MCT 237 Design Project
MCT 238 Manufacturing Planning