Software Engineering Technology
Associate in Science Degree
The Information Technology Software Engineering program enables students to pursue an entry-level career in Information Technology and prepare them to further their education in our Bachelor of Science degree program
Key program elements:
All IT students take a three quarter core curriculum in with Software Engineering Technology and Network Engineering Technology courses to prepare them to select their concentration for quarters four through six.
An externship course is available in quarter six during which students work off-campus in an organization where they will practice and enhance their technical skills.
“Being a software firm, we look for employees with specific skill sets and a good attitude. From our experience, New England Tech students have that combination. As a software firm we need technically inclined people and New England Tech is a great place to go for that type of education.”
Kurt Anderson, Human Resource Director
Andera, Inc., Providence, RI
Providence Business News Article: Demand for Tech Workers to Grow
Mission, Goals and Outcomes
The mission of the Information Technology Software Engineering program is to provide a program that will allow students to pursue an entry-level career in Information Technology and prepare them to further their education in our Bachelor of Science degree program.
1. Provide various learning experiences with an emphasis on application of knowledge as it applies to entry level software engineering principles such as proper programming techniques, database design, web design and the integration of the Software Development Life Cycle.
2. Provide students with an opportunity to solve software engineering problems in the areas of software development, data base design, and system analysis through the combination of class work, projects, team work and hands-on experiences.
3. Provide students with a basic understanding of the principals of network design.
4. Provide students with opportunities to develop their critical thinking skills and social skills as it applies to software development and programming principles.
5. Provide an environment that encourages self-learning and the continuation of each student’s education beyond graduation with the goal of furthering each student’s ability to adapt to and incorporate new concepts, ideas, and evolving technologies.
1. Students will design and implement algorithms based on sound mathematical and software development principles in the areas of software development, data base design, and system analysis. Assessments will be conducted using exams, projects and performance rubrics.
2. Students will follow and meet objectives of a project plan and recognize the need for adaptation, adjustments, and restructuring of the plan, both as an individual IT professional, and in a team environment. Assessments will be conducted using exams, performance reviews, projects, and reports.
3. Demonstrate effective oral and written communications with supervisors, team members and clients. In particular, students should exhibit lucid, clear and concise technical and professional communication as well as be able to communicate complex technical ideas in layman’s terms to non-technically trained people. This will be assessed via reports, self-assessments, instructor observations, peer evaluations, and technical documentation.
4. Respect different cultures, customs, and professional technical methods and procedures inherent in an industry with many differences on locality or region. Assessed through instructor observations, peer evaluations and externships.
Information Technology/Software Engineering Associate Degree
- NE 115 Computer and Networking Fundamentals
- SE 114 Programming Essentials Using C++
- IT 121 IT Visual Communications
- SE 124 Intermediate Programming Using C++
- NE 121 Windows Networking Essentials
- NE 131 Networking for Small Businesses
- SE 133 Database Management
- MGM 115 Effective Management of Teams and Projects
- SE 245 C# 2
- SE 252 Systems Analysis and Design
- SE 266 Web Development Using PHP and MySQL
- SE 255 Advanced C#
- SE 256 Web Development Using .NET
- SE 264 User Interface Design
- SE 265 AS Capstone Project
- IT 260 Internship
- IT 267 IT Ethics and Professional Development
- NE 268 Wireless Networks