Associate in Science Degree
Clinical Medical Assistant Technology is an associate degree program offering focused training in the clinical patient-care skills that are in immediate demand in today’s rapidly changing medical industry.
Medical assistant training explores the human body as a whole; builds upon the skills of providing the best in patient care; and provides training in current diagnostic techniques. Our clinical medical assistant courses are competency-based; affording students the opportunity to practice in small classes and labs until skill competency is achieved. An introduction to basic administrative skills common to the field is also included.
Therapeutic ultrasound, automated blood chemistries, medication administration by all routes, phlebotomy, and computerized diagnostic multichannel EKGs are included subject material.
During the last two quarters of study and in preparation for their first medical assistant job, students gain real-world clinical experience through an in-the-field study as an entry-level Medical Assistant at a student selected facility.
Administratively, students gain an understanding of the changing health care system of the United States and its business aspects, such as the scheduling and tracking of patients, billing and charging, and the preparation and handling of medical reports.
At the conclusion of the Clinical Medical Assistant Technology program, students are able to perform patient care skills, laboratory skills, and diagnostic testing commonly done in a physician's office, clinic, or laboratory on each of the human body systems and with the further ability to manage administrative aspects of a modern medical environment. Students completing the program are also eligible to take a national certification exam.
Graduates of the clinical medical assistant program may work in an individual physician’s office, urgent care facility, or in a larger organization such as a hospital or health maintenance organization.
Related: Medical Programs
Program Mission, Goals and Outcomes
The mission of the Certified Medical Assistant Technology (CMA) program is to provide quality education and experiential learning in the field of clinical medical assistance. Students are challenged and motivated in the care of patients seeking medical care in varied environments. The objective is to teach our students respect and compassion for others, and to empower students in the desire to continue to learn and grow as individuals as well as a member of the medical team.
• To successfully graduate entry level Clinical Medical Assistants who demonstrate their ability to provide patient care with understanding and empathy and behave in a professional manner with both colleagues and patients.
• To provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to pass the NCMA (Nationally Certified Medical Assistant) exam.
• To provide students with hands-on laboratory and patient care-related simulations.
• To enrich the knowledge and skills of those students already employed in the medical field.
• To prepare students for lifelong learning by developing an appreciation for the acquisition of knowledge and providing instruction in the use of appropriate learning aids.
Graduates of this program will be able to:
• Provide competent patient care, and fulfill laboratory and administrative duties in an entry level position as a Clinical Medical Assistant in a variety of settings.
• Function as a member of the health care delivery team.
• Demonstrate effective oral and written communications with supervisors, patients and their families, and colleagues.
• Act in an ethically, responsible way with regard to legal obligations applicable in a medical environment.
• Respect all people and cultures as they interact with a diverse patient population in the clinical medical assistant profession.
Associate in Science Degree
- SCI 100 Anatomy and Physiology I
- SCI 102 Introduction to Allied Health
- CMA 100 Law & Professionalism in the Medical Office
- SCI 120 Anatomy and Physiology II
- CMA 124 Medical Language I
- CMA 126 Clinical Documents & Communications
- CMA 128 Comprehensive Word Processing I
- CMA 129 Comprehensive Word Processing II
- AHS 201 Introduction to Medical Ethics and Bioethics
- BIO 131 Pathophysiology
- CMA 132 Clinical Laboratory Tests
- CMA 134 Medical Language II
- CMA 137 Clinical Care Techniques I
- PS 201 Introduction to Pschology
- CMA 217 Clinical Care Techniques II
- CMA 218 Comprehensive Medical Transcription I
- CMA 219 Comprehensive Medical Transcription II
- CMA 225 Medication Administration
- CMA 227 Clinical Laboratory Applications I
- CMA 228 Comprehensive Medical Office Practice I
- CMA 229 Comprehensive Medical Office Practice II
- CMA 236 Clinical Experience I
- CMA 237 Clinical Laboratory Applications II
- CMA 238 Clinical Experience II
- CMA 239 Clinical Project