Architectural Building Engineering Technology
The bachelor degree program in Architectural Building Engineering combines the art of designing buildings in the context of their fundamental systems with the engineering and technical concepts of construction. Study structural design, advanced environmental and mechanical systems, civil engineering, and building design. The course culminates with your senior thesis.
Bachelor of Science Degree
The Architectural Building Engineering Technology Program combines the art of designing buildings in the context of their fundamental systems and components with the engineering and technical concepts of construction.
The Architectural Building Engineering Technology Program is based upon the premise that buildings are designed and built using the team concept. As an integral member of that team, the architectural engineer must have the ability to create and construct buildings that will answer the economic, safety, technical, and esthetic requirements of a project. This program allows the student to develop those necessary abilities by emphasizing the fundamentals of architectural design combined with the scientific and engineering aspects of planning, structures, environmental systems, and construction. The program is also designed to instill within the student a sense of professionalism and a desire to serve and contribute
to society through the solutions of its problems in a way which is technically, environmentally, and socially acceptable.
The bachelor degree program is firmly based upon the engineering concepts of architectural design and building sciences. In the bachelor program, students will study structural design using wood, steel, masonry, and concrete, advanced environmental and mechanical systems, civil engineering and building design. The program culminates with a Senior Thesis course. In this final quarter, students must demonstrate their understanding of and ability to utilize and synthesize the technical and engineering concepts they developed throughout their New England Tech experience.
Students who wish to pursue professional registration may take advantage of our agreement with Boston Architectural Center (BAC). That agreement guarantees New England Tech graduates acceptance into BAC’s Master of Architecture program with advanced standing. BAC is a National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) accredited institution. Other students may pursue careers in associated fields such as construction management, facilities management, and real estate development, etc.
Program Mission, Goals and Outcomes
The Architectural Building Engineering Technology (ABT) programs, both associate and bachelor, prepare the student to be proficient in the art, engineering, and technology of designing the built environment relative to the users social, psychological, and aesthetic needs.
1. To educate students in the fundamentals of building design and sciences through a seamless and comprehensive study combining the theoretical and practical concepts of design, building systems, components, engineering, and construction.
2. To expand our students’ observational skills and critical thinking abilities.
3. To instill within each student an awareness of and desire to contribute to the profession and society at large through the development of a professional and personal ethic that demands technically, environmentally, and socially responsible decision making.
The ABT graduate will be able to:
1. Function as an integral member of the design and building team.
2. Act in an ethically and morally responsible way with regard to the profession.
3. Evaluate and analyze complex problems relative to the built environment and develop solutions that meet the economic, social, technical, engineering, and aesthetic needs of the client and society.
4. Evaluate and analyze complex engineering problems relative to construction and develop an appropriate solution.
5. Demonstrate effective oral and written communications.
6. Present design concepts and solutions using advanced graphics and verbal presentation.
7. Demonstrate an understanding of building systems and materials relative to design integration.
8. Demonstrate a commitment to produce accurate and quality work.
9. Demonstrate an ability to design buildings that are sustainable and environmentally responsible.
Architecture Building Engineering Technology
Bachelor of Science Degree
ABT 110 Intro. to Architecture and Building Technology
ABT 112 Technical Drafting & Graphic Communications
ABT 114 Introduction to Computer-Aided Drafting (CAD)
ABT 115 Introduction to Structures
ABT 122 Two and Three Dimensional Design Theory
ABT 124 Construction Methods & Materials
ABT 125 Building Design & Technology I
ABT 127 Introduction to Construction Estimating
ABT 135 Building Design & Technology II
ABT 137 Introduction to Environmental Systems
ABT 138 Surveying & Civil Technology
ABT 211 Presentation Techniques
ABT 218 Building Information Modeling (BIM 1)
ABT 212 Programming
HI 235 Architectural History
ABT 221 Visualization Studies I
MCT 215 Statics
ABT 225 Building Design & Technology III
ABT 223 Structures I
ABT 232 Structures II
ABT 235 Building Design & Technology IV
ABT 224 Mechanics of Materials
PHY 200 Physics I & La
ABT 314 Construction Contracts & Specifications
ABT 315 Structural Wood Design
ABT 324 Masonry Construction & Detailing
PHY 300 Physics II & Lab (MA/SCI Core)
ABT 325 Soil Mechanics & Foundation Design
ABT 328 Structural Steel Design
ABT 337 Building Information Modeling II (BIM II)
ABT 331 Advanced Environmental Systems
ABT 330 Visualization Studies II
ABT 334 Site Engineering & Planning
ABT 338 Reinforced Concrete Design
ABT 410 Building Design & Technology V (Low Rise)
ABT 412 Sustainability In Construction
ABT 414 Current Topics I
ABT 420 Building Design & Technology VI (High Rise)
ABT 421 Acoustics & Lighting
ABT 423 Senior Thesis Proposal
ABT 424 Current Topics II
ABT 430 Senior Thesis
ABT 431 Engineering Finance
ABT 433 Construction Law