Business Management Technology
Advance your knowledge of Business Management, as well as accounting, finance, marketing, operations, service management, and effective interpersonal relationships. Master the latest Microsoft Office Suite and related technology advances such as online portfolios and the use of social media in business. Graduates are prepared for a range of positions in various industries.
Bachelor of Science Degree
In the Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Management (BMGT) program, students begin by learning the basics of management, accounting, finance, marketing, and interpersonal relationship principles that are then applied in laboratory exercises, simulations, and cases. Hands-on training is provided for management skills, such as analyzing accounting information, effective teamwork, or making presentations, as well as for Office Suite software including spreadsheets, databases, presentation and publishing software, and word processing. Students also become familiar with web navigation and use. Communication skills, including writing and speaking, are refined; students review the basics of English grammar, business-letter writing and editing, and proofreading. Additionally, students practice their verbal skills by making various presentations and preparing for employment interviews.
More advanced courses build on foundational skills, preparing students for advancement in responsibilities and position and a career in management. Students deepen their knowledge of management and leadership, accounting, finance, marketing, operations/service management, and effective interpersonal relationships and teamwork. The program incorporates the latest Microsoft Office Suite and related technology advances such as online portfolios and use of social media in business. Students have two management electives to allow deeper study in a chosen area, such as entrepreneurship or sales and marketing. Hands-on training is provided for management and interpersonal skills, such as negotiating, analyzing accounting information, or making presentations, as well as for more advanced use of Office Suite software including spreadsheets, databases, presentation and publishing software, and word processing.
The Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Management emphasizes a blend of technical, people/interpersonal, and analytical knowledge and skills, practices in labs what students will be doing in the typical workplace, integrates material across courses and functional areas of business, and develops the approach of being a life-long learner, in particular in the areas of technology and management. Courses use both face-to-face and online learning experiences; this blend reflects today’s workplace.
Graduates of the BSMGT program may be qualified to work in many industries in a variety of positions such as business, accounting, or operations analyst, project manager, department or process supervisor, service manager, marketing analyst or customer service representative/manager, or business owner. Graduates who are already working may use their degree to apply for promotions.
Program Mission, Goals and Outcomes
The mission of the Business Management (BMGT) Program is to provide a specialized baccalaureate degree program to prepare students to initially become team, project, area, or department managers/leaders in organizations, to become small business owners/operators, and to pursue career opportunities available only to those with baccalaureate degrees. The course work emphasizes integration of content and knowledge, hands-on learning experiences, practicing and developing management, technical, and soft/interpersonal skills, using the latest information technology used in organizations, and balanced class and lab time.
- The BMGT program will provide learning opportunities for students to acquire and practice the management knowledge and skills needed to move up to and function effectively as mid-level professionals or owners in a variety of organizations.
- The BMGT program will provide students technical, interpersonal, and analytical knowledge and skills.
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Apply current business management practices and technologies, and develop skills for related life-long learning.
- Adapt proactively to new technology and recognize its ability to solve business problems and add value.
- Effectively manage teams and projects.
- Make effective decisions using integrated business knowledge and relevant data sources that develop and support organizational strategy.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with awareness of medium and content to diverse audiences.
- Identify, value, and adapt to individual and cultural diversity in organizations and their stakeholders.
- Recognize and effectively analyze ethical issues, determining possible courses of action and their consequences for stakeholders.
- Develop career management skills for their chosen profession.
Bachelor of Science Degree
- BU 236 Small Business and the Law (SS Core)
- IT 375 Information Systems Management
- MGM 105 Effective Teams and Projects
- MGM 107 Introduction to Business
- MGM 111 Workplace Technology
- MGM 125 Principles of Management
- MGM 130 Accounting Fundamentals
- MGM 131 Introduction to Business Analysis and Reporting
- MGM 143 Business Communication
- MGM 153 Workplace Relationships and Communication
- MGM 157 Global Business
- MGM 170 Business Accounting and Financial Reporting
- MGM 198 Management Practice Lab I
- MGM 211 Business Publishing
- MGM 214 Marketing Communications
- MGM 215 Career Exploration & Planning
- MGM 225 Leading Teams and Projects
- MGM 230 Financial Literacy and Decision Making
- MGM 231 Databases & Data Analysis
- MGM 260 Foundations of Organizational Financial Analysis
- MGM 264 Sales and Service Management
- MGM 298 Management Practice Lab II
- MGM 305 Managing Interpersonal & Team Effectiveness
- MGM 311 Data Analysis and Reporting
- MGM 314 Principles of Marketing
- MGM 330 Managerial Accounting
- MGM 335 Human Resource Management
- MGM 355 21st Century Leadership
- MGM 398 Integrative Lab 1 – Business Start-Up & Decision Making
- MGM 411 Technology and Management Effectiveness
- MGM 413 Business Presentations
- MGM 415 Career Advancement and Success
- MGM 425 Productions and Service Operations Management
- MGM 430 Financial Management
- MGM 445 Negotiation
- MGM 460 Investments
- MGM 485 Management of Change and Innovation
- MGM 495 Strategic Management and Decision Making
- MGM 496 Professional Portfolio
- MGM 498 Integrative Lab II – Project Management Effectiveness
- ELECTIVE Management Elective (4)
- ELECTIVE Technical Elective