Electrical Engineering Technology
Bachelor of Science Degree
The Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering Technology (ELT) is designed primarily for those students who already possess an associate degree in fields related to Electronics or Electrical Technology. The program at NEIT emphasizes the hands-on, practical approach to the mastery of Electrical Engineering Technology. This approach is supplemented in the ELT program with increasing levels of electronics and electrical theory, industrial controls, mathematics, and physics. In addition to the normal laboratory performance and theory testing, participants in the ELT program are also expected to demonstrate competence in using both oral and written skills. This is designed both to educate and to provide the personal skills for self-directed learning throughout the student’s professional life.
The ELT program is a unique combination of two traditional electronic and electrical topics. The study of electronic components, electronic subsystems and programming of microprocessor systems is combined with that of automation systems or advanced industrial controls, energy management and process control. ELT students are presented with applications of complex automation controllers, network communications, data acquisition, process manufacturing and microcontroller systems in order to develop an increased level of understanding which enhances their professional value to prospective employers. At the conclusion of the ELT program, the students are expected to develop and synthesize their own design project demonstrating the applied skills acquired throughout the program or find an internship in a related field. The “Hybrid” approach of the ELT program that combines traditional electronic and electrical skill sets provide the student with a unique knowledge base that will allow them to pursue careers under the direction of an engineering staff but above that of the traditional electrical worker.
Graduates of this program are qualified for positions in product development, operations, or technical service. The engineering technologist works with a professional engineer or scientist in converting scientific knowledge and craftsmanship into products and techniques.
The Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering Technology is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org. ABET is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) as the organization responsible for the accreditation of educational programs leading to degrees in engineering, engineering technology, computing, and applied science. The wide acceptance of the ABET list of accredited programs by organizations such as the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES), by the relevant boards of licensure and certification, by the professional engineering and technical societies, by employers, and by the institutions themselves, is gratifying evidence of the cooperation and respect of the institutions and organizations concerned.
Fall Enrollments Graduates
Program Mission, Goals and Outcomes
The mission of the Electrical Engineering Technology (ELT) program is to prepare students for immediate and productive employment in their field upon graduation. This is accomplished through educational experiences combining theory and practical application in the basic knowledge, skills, techniques, practices, and concepts employed in their profession. The program endeavors to develop the student’s ability to think critically, to communicate effectively and to independently solve problems. An important objective is to instill in students the necessity for continued professional development.
ELT Program Educational Objectives:
- Graduates will assume responsibilities or training through involvement in professional organizations, formal educational opportunities, employer-based training programs, or other training that enhances their ability to be productive in their place of employment.
- Graduates will solve problems using the modern tools of the discipline.
- Graduates will be effective communicators capable of working as professionals in cross-functional teams.
- Graduates respect professional, ethical, and social issues as well as a commitment to quality and dependability in their profession.
- An appropriate mastery of the knowledge, techniques, skills and modern tools of the ELT discipline.
- An ability to apply current knowledge and adapt to emerging applications of mathematics, science, engineering and technology.
- An ability to conduct, analyze and interpret experiments and apply experimental results to improve processes.
- An ability to apply creativity in the design of systems, components or processes appropriate to the program objectives.
- An ability to function effectively on teams.
- An ability to identify, analyze and solve technical problems.
- An ability to communicate effectively.
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in lifelong learning.
- An ability to understand professional, ethical and social responsibilities.
- A respect for diversity and a knowledge of contemporary professional, societal and global issues.
- A commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement
EET 360 Embedded Microcontrollers
EET 362 Embedded Microcontrollers lab
ELT 310 Programmable Automation Controllers and Lab
ELT 320 SCADA and Communication Systems and Lab
EET 364 Digital Circuit Design
EET 374 Circuit Analysis I
EET 314 C++ Programming
PHY 322 Fluid Power
EET 384 Circuit Analysis II
EET 463 Sensors and Signal conditioning
ELT 410 Electrical Design and Energy Management Lab
EET 470 Automation and Process Control
EET 472 Introduction to Senior Project
ELT 420 Building Automation Systems and Lab
EET 480 Senior Project
EET 482 Senior Project Seminar - or -
ELT 481 Internship
EET 486 LabVIEW Programming
MCT 239 Quality
Business Management Courses (as space is available)
MGT 313 Human Resource Management
MGT 331 Sales and Customer Management
MGT 340 Management Decision Making
MGT 346 Project Management
MKT 310 Product and Service Marketing