Bachelor of Science Degree
The Bachelor of Science in Health Care Management is a specialized degree program for students who have a minimum of an associate in science degree in the health care field. This program is designed to prepare graduates for entry-level managerial careers in the health care field and incorporates the latest innovations, managerial techniques and theory into a practical 18-month program.
The program features courses in the core areas of health care systems that include health care law, economics, marketing, and finance, as well as public health, quality improvement and risk management. Key features of this program include an optional internship in a health care setting and a capstone project where students work with a faculty member to develop and present an in-depth project that focuses on a particular topic incorporating knowledge gained throughout the program.
Health Care Management graduates would be prepared for employment as managers or assistant managers to support strategic planning, budgeting, and quality improvement or as supervisors of a program or department in long-term care facilities, hospitals, public health, home health care, community health, mental health centers and other health-related venues.
Program Mission, Goals and Outcomes
The mission of the Health Care Management program is to provide a specialized baccalaureate degree program in health care management to health care professionals and students who have a minimum of an associate degree in the health care field. This program is designed to prepare individuals for integration and growth in the health care industry through a combination of classroom, lab and field work experience. The program emphasizes knowledge acquisition and skill building and provides a comprehensive understanding of business and management practices in both the private and public sectors of health care organizations. Through a combination of teaching methodologies students will build on their professional knowledge and experience to prepare for leadership and managerial roles in the health care field.
- To enable associate degree level allied health professionals to build on existing skills.
- To provide students with a comprehensive foundation in healthcare management theory and practice.
- To prepare students to work within various health care settings
- To provide students with an understanding of ethical leadership principles and industry standards.
- To give students a thorough understanding of the concepts of health and disease in our population
- To provide students with an understanding of the roles of various types of health professions involved in the delivery of services involved in the continuum of care.
- To develop a student’s ability to apply critical thinking, problem solving and professional communication skills.
- To provide an environment that encourages self-learning and life-long learning by furthering each student’s ability to adapt to and incorporate new concepts, ideas, and evolving technologies.
- Demonstrate a depth of understanding of foundational knowledge pertinent to health care management.
- Understand health care management theory and its practical application in the health care industry.
- Understand basic principles connected to financial management, human resource management, health information management, risk management and quality improvement
- Analyze and apply ethical and legal concepts related to health care delivery.
- Understand the concept of health in terms of societal wellness, disease and medical care.
- Understand health care industry structure, organizations, and service delivery.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply critical thinking, problem solving and professional communication skills to practical projects and tasks.
- Develop an appreciation for professional development and life-long learning.
Bachelor of Science Degree
- HCM 310 Introduction to Health Care Management
- HCM 311 Health Care Systems
- HCM 320 Health Care Law
- HCM 321 Public Health
- HCM 330 Health Care Economics
- HCM 339 Mental Health and Well Being
- HCM 410 Health Care Marketing
- HCM 411 Health Care Finance
- HCM XXX Health Care Decision Making and Effectiveness
- HCM XXX Health Care Ethics
- HCM XXX Health Care Management Capstone
- HCM XXX Health Care Management Internship
- HCM XXX Long Term Care Management
- HCM XXX Managerial Accounting for HealthCare
- HCM XXX Quality Assurance and Risk Management
- IT 374 IT Project Management
- MGM 335 Human Resource Management
- MGM 355 21st Century Leadership
- MGM 411 Technology and Management Effectiveness