Bachelor of Science Degree
The Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology, which focuses on product and process design, addresses today's job market and emphasize courses that include product design, tool and machine design, and manufacturing methods, as well as supporting engineering professions such as development engineers, application engineers, CAD engineering specialties, and basic engineering problem solvers. The courses at the Bachelor’s Degree level allow the student to link the design aspect of product development to the production phase and facilitate delivery to the customer. Students learn the theory and application of hydraulics, pneumatics, dynamics, instrumentation, thermodynamics and heat transfer, and machine design. Additionally, students gain knowledge in mechatronics, materials and inventory control, and plastics design.
Students can earn their Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology in as little as three years, days or evenings.
At the conclusion of this Mechanical Engineering Technology Degree program, students are required to complete a capstone course, which provides an excellent opportunity to tie the coursework together into a comprehensive senior project.
Graduates are well prepared to start their careers in research and development, design and problem solving professions in manufacturing and design departments, and as technologists in the area of production, quality, processes, automation, and tooling.
The Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012 – telephone (410) 347-7700. ABET is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) as the organization responsible for the accreditation of educational programs leading to degrees in engineering, engineering technology, computing, and applied science. The wide acceptance of the ABET list of accredited programs by organizations such as the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES), by the relevant boards of licensure and certification, by the professional engineering and technical societies, by employers, and by the institutions themselves, is gratifying evidence of the cooperation and respect of the institutions and organizations concerned.
“We look for candidates who have a combination of both practical, hands-on experience, as well as solid education. We have found that New England Tech graduates fit that need quite nicely. We’ve hired New England Tech grads in the past and have been thrilled because they come to us prepared for the task at hand and, within a short period of time, the New England Tech grads have been able to expand their careers.
The first place I come when I have an opening is New England Tech.”
Mari-Ann Oliveira, Human Resources
Composite Modules, Attleboro, MA
Program Mission, Objectives, and Outcomes
The mission of the Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology is to provide students to link the design aspect of product development to the production phase, and facilitate delivery to the customer. The program, which focuses on product and process design, addresses today's job market emphasizing product design, tool and machine design, and manufacturing methods, as well as supporting engineering professions such as development engineers, application engineers, CAD engineering specialties, and basic engineering problem solvers. Students learn the theory and application of hydraulics, pneumatics, dynamics, instrumentation, thermodynamics, heat transfer, and machine design. Additionally, students gain knowledge in mechatronics, materials and inventory control, and plastics design.
Program Educational Objectives
- Graduates from the Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology will have gained the knowledge, problem-solving abilities, and hands-on skills to succeed in a career in the manufacturing, design, specification, installation, testing, operation, maintenance, sales, or documentation of mechanical systems.
- Graduates from the Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology will be able to employ communication and teamwork skills to effectively bridge the gap between professional engineers and skilled production workers and to assist engineers to design, develop, and manufacture industrial machinery and consumer products.
- Graduates from the Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology will be able to apply knowledge and a propensity for learning to continuously develop new skills and to learn about new areas needed for long-term career development, including science, engineering, and technology knowledge and communication and teamwork skills.
- Graduates from the Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology will achieve professional employment within the broad field of mechanical engineering technology or related disciplines.
- Develop skills in logical thinking and problem solving.
- Develop professionalism and quality workmanship.
- Develop oral and written communication skills.
- Develop ability to work productively with others.
- Develop skill in the practical design of mechanical parts and assemblies.
- Develop skill in applying math in problem solving, analysis, and design.
- Develop skill in analysis and design of mechanical systems.
- Develop skill in operations management and project planning.
- Develop skill in utilizing and applying discipline-specific computer software.
MCT 312 Engineering Economics
MCT 314 Mechatronics
MCT 317 CAD/CAM in Design and Manufacturing
MCT 322 Fluid Power
MCT 422 Manufacturing Prossess II
MCT 334 Instrumentation
MCT 417 Operations Management
MCT 324 Design for Manufacture and Assembly
MCT 420 Thermodynamics
MCT 424 Design with Plastics
MCT 336 Dynamics
MCT 418 Advance Computer Applications
MCT 425 Engineering Capstone Project Seminar
MCT 431 Machine Design
MCT 434 Heat Transfer
MCT 451 Engineering Capstone Project
EST 254 Introduction to Programmable Controller Systems