Network Engineering Technology
Bachelor of Science Degree
The Information Technology Department offers two concentrations as part of the Bachelor of Science in Information Technology: Software Engineering Technology and Network Engineering Technology.
Network Engineering Technology
The Bachelor’s Degree in Network Engineering technology provides the student more extensive experience in the management of Local Area Networks (LANs), intranets, Wide Area Networks (WANs) and exposure to configuring and managing web servers.
Students can earn their Bachelor’s Degree in Network Engineering Technology is as little as three years, days or evenings. Upon completion of the Network Engineering Technology program, graduates are eligible to apply for positions as network security specialists, LAN managers, network administrators, network engineers and network analysts.
Graduates of this program will be eligible to take such internationally recognized certification exams as the CompTIA Security + and Network+ exams and the Microsoft Certified System Administrator (MCSA).
“The success of our current employees from New England Tech says a lot about the college and its programs. The training that students receive prepares them for the fast-paced environment and challenges here at Atrion. We have a high technical standard so the real-world educational experience at New England Tech is wonderful; it really sets their students apart.”
Rachel Croce, Talent Development Associate
Atrion Networking, Warwick, RI
Providence Business News Article: IT Hot Job Market in Rhode Island
Providence Business News Article: Demand for Tech Workers to Grow
Program Mission, Goals and Outcomes
The mission of the Information Technology Network Engineering Bachelor program is to provide preparation for the field of information technology with a concentration in Network Engineering. Through a combination of theory, labs, and optional field experience, the program emphasizes application of knowledge to the specifications and requirements of the Network Engineering and computer support industry, and teaches students to strive towards providing and enhancing a productive business environment. The Information Technology Network Engineering Bachelor program is designed to provide more depth and breadth with topics learned in the Information Technology Network Engineering Associates program, and to introduce more advanced concepts and practices with topics beyond the Information Technology Network Engineering Associates program.
1. Through participation in a Senior Project or Externship, provide appropriate learning opportunities for students to acquire the theoretical knowledge, applicable skills, and professional attitude necessary to function as an IT professional requiring intermediate and advanced skills.
2. Allow students to learn the skills required to gather and analyze information required to successfully translate business scenarios into technical solutions through appropriate design, implementation, and troubleshooting.
3. Endeavor to cultivate every student’s ability to critically analyze advanced IT problems, and efficiently and correctly troubleshoot those problems.
4. Provide an environment that encourages self-learning and the continuation of each student’s education beyond graduation with the goal of furthering each student’s ability to adapt to and incorporate new concepts, ideas, and evolving technologies.
5. Strive to instill in each student a sense of professional commitment and integrity with respect to the security and privacy of clientele and information, the rights of copyright holders, and the inherent responsibilities of license users.
6. Help prepare students for some of the objectives for various entry and intermediate level industry certifications, and help prepare students to acquire those certifications.
Graduates of this program will be able to:
1. Plan, design, implement, analyze, integrate, and troubleshoot simple and complex networks via participation in a Senior Project or Externship.
2. Create, follow, and meet objectives of a project plan and recognize the need for adaptation, adjustments, and restructuring of the plan, both as an individual IT professional, and in a team environment.
3. Apply practical and theoretical Network Engineering knowledge based upon the foundation concepts defined in an integrated environment.
4. Demonstrate effective oral and written communications with supervisors, subordinates, team members and clients. In particular students should exhibit lucid, clear and concise technical and professional communication as well as be able to communicate complex technical ideas in layman’s terms to non-technically trained people.
5. Provide network and computer support in a responsible and ethical manner, and comprehend and comply with applicable laws and regulatory standards.
6. Respect different cultures, customs, and professional technical methods and procedures inherent in an industry with many differences based on locality or region.
Information Technology Bachelor Degree Program
NE 371 Network Scripting
IT 378 Database Management
NE 406 Router Security and Firewall Management
NE 381 Design and Implementation of an Active Directory Network
NE 402 Linux System Administration
NE 393 WAN Technologies
NE 395 Internet Servers
CYB 394 Windows Security
IT 374 IT Project Management
NE 404 Heterogeneous Network Administration
NE 405 Mail Servers
NE 407 Virtualization
NE 416 Introduction to Network Engineering Senior Project
CYB 412 Network Security
CYB 408 Linux Security
CYB 423 Incident Response
NE 425 Network Engineering Senior Project