Software Engineering Technology
Bachelor of Science Degree
The Information Technology Department offers two concentrations as part of the Bachelor of Science Degree in Information Technology: Software Engineering technology and Network Engineering Technology.
Software Engineering Technology
The Bachelor of Science Degree in Software Engineering technology builds upon the knowledge of the Associate’s Degree to give the student a broader exposure to computer programming languages, especially object-oriented languages, and deeper experience in computer database design, development and implementation.
Students can earn their Bachelor’s Degree in Software Engineering Technology in as little as three years, day or evenings. Upon completion of this program, graduates of the Software Engineering Technology Bachelor’s Degree program will be prepared to apply for positions such as computer system developer, computer analyst, computer programmer, computer database specialist, computer software engineer, web programmer, planner or developer.
“FM Global looks at our relationship with New England Tech as a mutually beneficial partnership. We have ongoing conversations with students and faculty where we learn from each other. A number of New England Tech department heads even have come to our corporate offices to tour our data center. We also have been pleased to see the school take our advice about its curriculum and even implement new courses. The students that FM Global sees from New England Tech are smart, talented and bring to us hands-on skills and abilities to hit the ground running when it comes to IT support. It’s especially rewarding when New England Tech graduates choose to stay in Rhode Island and pursue career opportunities at FM Global.”
Paul Roche, Data Networks Manager
FM Global, Johnston, RI
Providence Business News Article: Demand for Tech Workers to Grow
Program Mission, Goals and Outcomes
The mission of the Bachelor of Science Degree program in Information Technology Software Engineering is to provide students with an opportunity to further their studies in Software Engineering. Graduates of this program are ready to start a career in Software Engineering and are also prepared for lifelong learning.
1. Provide various learning experiences with an emphasis on self-learning.
2. Provide students with an opportunity to solve software engineering problems in the areas of server side web development, database driven web applications, and using advanced programming techniques.
3. Present students with an in-depth look a software design patterns, component based designs and software architectures.
4. Provide students with opportunities to develop their critical thinking skills and social skills as it applies to software development and programming principles.
5. Provide an environment that encourages self-learning and the continuation of each student’s education beyond graduation with the goal of furthering each student’s ability to adapt to and incorporate new concepts, ideas, and evolving technologies.
1. Students will design and implement software solutions based on sound software engineering principles in the areas of server side web development and database driven web applications.
2. Students will develop a software engineering application and be responsible for its management, design and implementation.
3. Students will design and build a client server application using a database management tool.
4. Students will demonstrate effective oral and written communications with supervisors, team members and clients. In particular they should exhibit lucid, clear and concise technical and professional communication as well as be able to communicate complex technical ideas in layman’s terms to non-technically trained people.
5. Students will respect different cultures, customs, and professional technical methods and procedures inherent in an industry with many differences on locality or region.
Information Technology Software Engineering Bachelor Degree
- NE 115 Computer and Networking Fundamentals
- SE 114 Programming Essentials Using C++
- IT 121 IT Visual Communications
- SE 124 Intermediate Programming Using C++
- NE 121 Windows Networking Essentials
- NE 131 Networking for Small Businesses
- SE 133 Database Management
- MGM 115 Effective Management of Teams and Projects
- SE 245 C# 2
- SE 252 Systems Analysis and Design
- SE 266 Web Development Using PHP and MySQL
- SE 255 Advanced C#
- SE 256 Web Development Using .NET
- SE 264 User Interface Design
- SE 265 AS Capstone Project
- IT 260 Internship
- IT 267 IT Ethics and Professional Development
- NE 268 Wireless Networks
- SE 396 Advanced PHP Programming
- IT 378 Database Management
- SE 426 Web Services
- SE 381 Test Driven Development
- SE 385 Java
- SE 407 Advanced .NET
- SE 391 Programming Mobile Devices I – Android
- SE 394 Algorithms in Software Engineering
- SE 398 Advanced SQ
- IT 374 IT Project Management
- SE 402 Design Patterns
- SE 409 Programming Mobile Devices II
- SE 414 Introduction to Senior Project
- SE 417 Software Security
- SE 419 Big Data
- SE 423 Operating Systems
- SE 425 Senior Project
- SE 429 Data Analytics