Bachelor of Science Degree
The Information Technology Department offers two concentrations as part of the Bachelor of Science Degree in Information Technology: Software Engineering technology and Network Engineering Technology.
Software Engineering Technology
The Bachelor of Science Degree in Software Engineering technology builds upon the knowledge of the Associate’s Degree to give the student a broader exposure to computer programming languages, especially object-oriented languages, and deeper experience in computer database design, development and implementation.
Students can earn their Bachelor’s Degree in Software Engineering Technology in as little as three years, day or evenings. Upon completion of this program, graduates of the Software Engineering Technology Bachelor’s Degree program will be prepared to apply for positions such as computer system developer, computer analyst, computer programmer, computer database specialist, computer software engineer, web programmer, planner or developer.
“FM Global looks at our relationship with New England Tech as a mutually beneficial partnership. We have ongoing conversations with students and faculty where we learn from each other. A number of New England Tech department heads even have come to our corporate offices to tour our data center. We also have been pleased to see the school take our advice about its curriculum and even implement new courses. The students that FM Global sees from New England Tech are smart, talented and bring to us hands-on skills and abilities to hit the ground running when it comes to IT support. It’s especially rewarding when New England Tech graduates choose to stay in Rhode Island and pursue career opportunities at FM Global.”
Paul Roche, Data Networks Manager
FM Global, Johnston, RI
Providence Business News Article: Demand for Tech Workers to Grow
Program Mission, Goals and Outcomes
The mission of the Bachelor of Science Degree program in Information Technology Software Engineering is to provide students with an opportunity to further their studies in Software Engineering. Graduates of this program are ready to start a career in Software Engineering and are also prepared for lifelong learning.
1. Provide various learning experiences with an emphasis on self-learning.
2. Provide students with an opportunity to solve software engineering problems in the areas of server side web development, database driven web applications, and using advanced programming techniques.
3. Present students with an in-depth look a software design patterns, component based designs and software architectures.
4. Provide students with opportunities to develop their critical thinking skills and social skills as it applies to software development and programming principles.
5. Provide an environment that encourages self-learning and the continuation of each student’s education beyond graduation with the goal of furthering each student’s ability to adapt to and incorporate new concepts, ideas, and evolving technologies.
1. Students will design and implement software solutions based on sound software engineering principles in the areas of server side web development and database driven web applications.
2. Students will develop a software engineering application and be responsible for its management, design and implementation.
3. Students will design and build a client server application using a database management tool.
4. Students will demonstrate effective oral and written communications with supervisors, team members and clients. In particular they should exhibit lucid, clear and concise technical and professional communication as well as be able to communicate complex technical ideas in layman’s terms to non-technically trained people.
5. Students will respect different cultures, customs, and professional technical methods and procedures inherent in an industry with many differences on locality or region.
IT 374 IT Project Management
IT 378 Database Management
IT 421 Unified Modeling Language
SE 385 Java
SE 388 Embedded Microcontroller Programming
SE 389 Open Source Frameworks
SE 393 Design Patterns
SE 426 Web Services
SE 394 Algorithms in Software Engineering
SE 398 Advanced SQL
SE 407 Advanced .NET
SE 414 Introduction to Senior Project
SE 417 Software Security
SE 396 Advanced PHP Programming
IT 410 Cooperative Learning I
SE 408 Programming Mobile Devices
SE 425 Senior Project
SE 428 Emerging Technologies in Software Engineering and Web Development
IT 420 Cooperative Learning II