Video Game Design Technology
The Video Game Development and Design Technology has two bachelor’s degree tracks: Game Development and Simulation Programming and Video Game Design.
The bachelor's degree program in Video Game Design Technology will prepare students for entry-level and intermediate level careers in game design, animation and visualization as well as for entry-level and intermediate level positions in a variety of digital media production environments. Building on the skills and knowledge acquired in the associate degree program, students will learn and refine advanced design and development skills utilized in the game industry. Students will be immersed in high level programs, concepts and design challenges that will aid in their development of communications skills, refine their mastery of 2D and 3D animation concepts and introduce them to new technologies and trends in the industry. An important component of the curriculum is assembling a portfolio that will include game assets developed by students. Graduates from this program will be eligible for entry-level to intermediate level positions such as game designer, character artist, environmental artist, technical artist, level designer and visual effects animator.
The mission of the Video Game Design Technology bachelor’s degree (VGD BS) program is to provide an advanced program to prepare students to become video game designers working in the game development or simulation industry, and to prepare students for further education at the master’s level. Through a combination of theory, hands-on state-of-the-art laboratory experiences, small class sizes led by experienced instructors, and a capstone project, the program emphasizes application of knowledge to the design and development of games and simulations.
1. The VGD BS program will provide appropriate learning opportunities to acquire knowledge of the design to production, including project management and documentation for the main game genres.
2. Provide the opportunities acquire knowledge of advanced principles of design used in the creation of the game user interface, game asset creation, and in game level design.
3. Present opportunities to acquire knowledge of advanced animation techniques for video game production.
4. The VGD BS program will provide appropriate learning opportunities to acquire knowledge of various game industry game engines and asset creation programs.
5. Provide the opportunity to prepare the student for entry into the game industry through the development of a portfolio and to develop and understanding of the industry’s workings.
1. Students will demonstrate their knowledge of the game development life cycle through video game creation projects from design to production, including project management and documentation for the main game genres.
2. Students will develop competence in utilizing advanced principles of design through the creation of the game user interface, game asset creation, and in game level design.
3. Students will demonstrate advanced animation techniques through the creation of visual assets for video game production.
4. Students will demonstrate their knowledge of various game industry game engines and asset creation programs through video game creation projects.
5. Students will prepare for entry into the game industry through the development of a portfolio and develop an understanding of the industry’s workings.
Video Game Design Technology
GDS 375 Simulation and Serious Games
VGD 371 Advanced 3D Modeling
VGD UI/UX Design Principles
GDS 370 Advanced Game Design
VGD 380 3D Digital Sculpting
VGD 384 Game Engines
VGD 390 Advanced Animation I
VGD 392 3D Sculpting & Advanced Rigging
VGD 394 Game Analytics
GDS 402 Level Design and Gameplay Development
GDS 422 Emerging Technologies in Game Development
GDS 404 Advanced Texturing
GDS 410 Introduction to Senior Project
VGD 412 Game Industry Perspectives
VGD 413 Advanced Portfolio Development
ELECTIVE Humanities, Social Sciences, or Arts/Foreign Language Core
IT 410 Cooperative Learning I
VGD 408 Virtual Production/Motion Capture
GDS 420 Senior Project
ELECTIVE Social Sciences Core
IT 420 Cooperative Learning II