Master of Public Health - Mission & Program Outcomes
Healthier populations living healthier lifestyles promoted by the public health community.
The mission of the NEIT Master of Science in Public Health program is to guide students to use the theory and practice of public health and management sciences to improve the health of populations. With a strong foundation in management and leadership courses especially designed for public health practitioners, graduates will be prepared to successfully manage programs in a variety of settings, including non-profit, academic, government, and community organizations.
By the end of the program students will be well-rounded public health professionals as evidenced by the ability to:
- Demonstrate a depth and breadth of understanding of the three core public health functions (assessment, assurance and policy development) described through the ten essential services of public health:
- Monitor health status to identify and solve community health problems.
- Diagnose and investigate health problems and health hazards in the community.
- Inform, educate, and empower people about health issues.
- Mobilize community partnerships and action to identify and solve health problems.
- Develop policies and plans that support individual and community health efforts.
- Enforce laws and regulations that protect health and ensure safety.
- Link people to needed personal health services and assure the provision of health care when otherwise unavailable.
- Assure competent public and personal health care workforce.
- Evaluate effectiveness, accessibility, and quality of personal and population-based health services.
- Research for new insights and innovative solutions to health problems.
2. Demonstrate skills in all the core competencies for public health professionals:
- Analytical/Assessment Skills
- Policy Development/Program Planning Skills
- Communication Skills
- Cultural Competency Skills
- Community Dimensions of Practice Skills
- Public Health Sciences Skills
- Financial Planning and Management Skills
- Leadership and Systems Thinking Skills