Each year, Heating Department Chair Ron Como brings students together with leaders in the heating industry through classroom presentations and site visits during “Industry Links Week”. This year, from September 12th through September 15th, heating students enrolled in the Plumbing/Heating & Gas Technology and Refrigeration/AC Heating & Gas Technology programs were able to visit with several local companies: Heat Transfer Products, in New Bedford, MA, Modine Heaters in West Kingston, RI, and AMTROL, in East Greenwich, RI. During class time, Chief Mechanical Inspector for the RI Department of Labor & Training, Nick Ranone, addressed the class, as well as Henry Roma, Regional Manager for Santoro Oil Company. The heating industry has seen a burst in job opportunities as qualified candidates continue to be in high demand across all trades. New England Institute of Technology would like to thank all of the companies who were involved in making Industry Links Week a success!
Here are some examples of jobs that came through the Career Services Office this week:
- A local news station is recruiting for an Editor and Photographer
- A venue management company is seeking a Production Manager
- A media outlet is recruiting students for Part Time Board Operator
- A public access television network is recruiting a Staff Producer
- A local university posted a position for a Digital Media Production Videographer & Editor
- Help Desk Candidate that would work on a short term assignment in Connecticut. This position can help to really build a resume for IT Networking and Cyber Security graduates.
- A role for an IT Desktop Support / Audio Visual Tech. This position works well for a student who is in the IT Networking or the Cyber Security program.
- A role for a Software Programmer that is a good fit for graduates from the IT Software or Game Development programs.
- Tiverton, RI – Assistant Project Manager travel required
- North Attleboro, MA – Drafter
- Providence, RI – Drafting Intern
- Taunton, MA – CAD Drafter
- Bellingham, MA – Drafter/Detailer
- Cranston, RI –3 Drafters
- Johnston, RI – Entry Level Safety Coordinator
- Warwick, RI – Laborer
- Saunderstown, RI – Carpenters
- Portsmouth, RI – Finish Carpenter
- A company based in Warwick, RI hired another grad as a Plumbing Apprentice. This is the 12th Apprentice hired since 2013. They hire both Refrigeration/AC Heating & Gas Technology and Plumbing/Heating & Gas Technology graduates.
- Plumbing company in Cranston, RI is seeking Apprentice candidates
- A water treatment company in Wyoming, RI is recruiting for a Service Technician
- Wallingford, CT – Mechanical/Electrical Designer (Mechanical Engineering Technology/Electrical Engineering Technology)
- Franklin, MA – Seeking Engineering Technicians at two different companies (Electronic Systems Engineering Technology)
- Cranston, RI – Power Electronics Engineer & Electrical Engineer (Electrical Engineering Technology)
- A nursing and rehabilitation facility in West Warwick, RI listed a part time Activity Aide for a health care student.
- Providence, RI facility – has an opening for a Surgical Technologist
- Milford, MA facility – has 2 Surgical Technologist openings
- A staffing agency is looking for candidates to handle phone support for customers regarding their medications.
- A Rhode Island optical dispensary is offering strong pay along with a benefit package and will also provide extra training in ophthalmology.
- An eye care center in Dartmouth, MA is offering benefits and are willing to train a CMA so that he/she can gain additional skills in ophthalmology.
- Bayada Home Health Care in Providence, RI has a new Pediatric Residency Program for RN’s – next class begins in September.
- A Johnston, RI facility is recruiting for a part time RN position.
- A growing rehabilitation facility has jobs in several locations throughout RI and CT.
- A nationwide rehabilitation facility sent a flyer to NEIT stating they have jobs open across the US including: RI, CT, & MA.
Here’s the latest from the Career Services Office:
- Physical Therapist Assistant at Bodymechanix, Wakefield, RI
- 2 Occupational Therapy Assistants at Encore Rehab and a travel agency in NY state
- Videographer/Editor at Fellowship Health Resources, Smithfield, RI
- Surgical Technologist at Kent Hospital hired
- Electrical Apprentice for a contractor in Milford, MA
JOBS THAT CAME IN THIS WEEK
- AutoCAD Detailer in both Pawtucket, RI and Milford, MA
- Maintenance Supervisor in Groton, CT combines Construction Management and Refrigeration/AC Heating & Gas
- Cabinet Maker in Cranston, RI
- Part time Drafter in Central Falls, RI
- Multiple Carpenters in Seekonk, MA
- Part-time Construction Safety Clerk in Cranston, RI
- Part-time Assistant Construction Estimator in Providence, RI
- Service Field Engineer in Cumberland, RI (with job training in Italy!) – Electrical Engineering Technology
- Quality Control Technician in Fall River, MA – Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Documentation Specialist in Providence, RI – Mechanical Engineering & Electrical Engineering Technology
- Engineering Technician Internship in Franklin, MA – Electronic Systems Engineering Technology & Electrical Engineering Technology
- Entry-level IT Support Engineer in Providence, RI that will work for both IT Networking and Cyber Security
- 3 month IT Support role in Providence, RI
- PHP Web Developer in Providence, RI – IT Software, Game Development/Simulation Programming or Information Technology – Master’s Program.
- 2 paid IT internships for IT Software and Game Development/Simulation Programming students. The company is in Newport, RI and has hired over 13 NEIT graduates and they hope to be able to hire more grads by starting them as interns.
- .NET Application Developer – this Newport-based company hired an NEIT candidate last month and now want another one!
- Local outlet store is looking for an Ecommerce Specialist which is a great fit for GMW grads.
- Technician in Exeter, RI to work on State Police vehicles
- Technicians needed throughout New England at an Auto Care chain
- Several openings for Frame Technician and Auto Body Technician in North Kingstown, RI
- Plant Operator in Newport, RI with a mechanical background
- Technicians in North Kingstown, RI for full or part time
- A health care facility in Cranston, RI is seeking an OTR – Occupational Therapy – Master’s Program.
- A medical equipment and supply company is seeking a Respiratory Therapist – Respiratory Care.
- A medical office in Lincoln, RI is seeking a Clinical Medical Assistant.
- A non-profit corporation in Warwick, RI is seeking a Health Information Technician that is a great fit for graduates from the Electronic Medical Records.
- A Primary Care facility in Massachusetts posted two PTA roles with NEIT. Our Physical Therapist Assistant grads continue to have significant opportunities for employment.
- A company in Riverside, RI is looking for part time Security Officers
- Several Rhode Island Police Departments are now accepting applicants for their recruitment drive.
Here is the latest from the Career Services Office!
ENGINEERING AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY:
- A technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, civil and cyber security markets with offices in MA and RI has multiple Information Technology & Electrical Engineering Technology positions.
- A global aerospace and defense company in CT has design positions for Architectural/Building Engineering Technology & Mechanical Engineering Technology (over 75 openings!)
- A company providing services in medical imaging and information technologies with an office in RI has an Engineering internship and a full-time position for Electronic Systems Engineering Technology and Electrical Engineering Technology.
- A RI-based company considered a leading supplier of semiconductor-based solutions has Engineering internships for Electrical Engineering Technology.
An agency that finds talent for the Naval War College in Middletown, RI posted 5 jobs in the IT field.
A local private college has hired a number of Information Technology grads and they just hired another Information Technology/Software Engineering grad this week who will work as their Database Administrator.
An award-winning telematics solutions company in Massachusetts reached out with a role for a Jr. Systems Administrator. The well-paying role would be a good fit for graduates from Information Technology and Cyber Security.
A local news station posted a position for a Production Assistant and Creative Services Producer
Two different radio station posted positions for a Part-time Board Operator and a Receptionist/Traffic Assistant
A telecommunications company in Englewood Cliffs, NJ posted a roll for an AV Technician
A behavioral health program posted a position for a Multimedia Specialist
A professional signage company in Seekonk, MA posted a full-time job for a Graphic Artist. The grad who held the position previously has gone on to his dream job.
A medical group posted a paid internship for a Marketing/Communications Intern.
A staffing agency reached out with a short term role with a local creative company seeking a candidate with strong package design and Adobe Illustrator.
A Health Center in Warwick, RI posted a role for a Clinical Medical Assistant.
A local dermatology office reached out with a role for a Medical Receptionist. This office has hired several NEIT grads and has been happy with the quality of the candidates.
A contract rehabilitation company posted 2 jobs for PTAs in Rhode Island. Over the years, this company has hired many NEIT graduates.
A public school district in CT has posted a role for a full-time PTA.
A well-known lumber company in Mansfield, MA posted positions for Mill Work Shop Technicians.
A carpentry company in West Greenwich, RI needs Carpenters and Carpenter Helpers.
A framing contractor company in Warwick, RI is seeking an Estimator.
A construction company in Manchester, CT posted a position for a Construction Clerk.
A local staffing agency is recruiting for Carpenters. The recruiter states: “I have several openings with two large construction companies with job sites in the North and South shore.”
GRADS WHO MOVED ON INTO NEW JOBS:
2001 grad – AV Technician at CCRI and the Welcome Manager creating digital publicity at Roger Williams Park Botanical Center
2012 grad – Daytime Video Editor for ABC6 News
2000 grad – Inside Sales Estimator for Arnold Lumber
2013 grad – Assistant Project Manager at Taylor Interior Design
2015 grad – Mechanical Drafter with Creative Environment Corp. division of Thielsch Engineering
May was a busy month for the Career Services Office. Over 330 job leads came through the office marking the most leads in a month so far in 2016!
Here’s a look at job leads that came through at the end of the month:
- An online job board dedicated to the Marine industry currently has close to 100 jobs in the Marine Trades around the country! There are about 25 jobs in MA and RI in jobs ranging from Sales, Office Help, Yard Foreman to Technicians and Charter Boat Captains.
- A Warwick, RI company is looking for a Service Advisor and a Plainville, MA company is looking for a Service Writer from our Automotive Service Management program.
- An automotive group out of Florida took over an existing truck center in East Providence and is looking for Auto Body and Diesel Technicians, Auto Body Painters, Parts, Warehouse and a Service Advisor.
- A Wellesley, MA company needs a few Auto Body Technicians.
- A Bristol, RI company looking for a Body Shop Technician.
- A Brockton, MA company needs a Collision Repair Technician.
- A packaging manufacturer in Johnston, RI posted a Graphic Artist job. They have hired many GMW grads in the past.
- A staffing company posted an entry-level role for a Graphic Artist in Medway, MA.
- A world-class marketing company in Pawtucket, RI posted a role for an Art Director.
- A local Breast Cancer Resource Foundation reached out to NEIT seeking a paid intern from the Graphics, Multimedia, and Web Design program. The candidate would be working on artwork for a book of poetry written by cancer survivors.
- A large investment company in N. Smithfield, RI will have two major hiring events in 2017 and will be looking for Bachelor level candidates primarily from IT Software Engineering and Game Development. They host a program featuring intensive training in North Carolina prior to starting work in RI.
- A Massachusetts Public School district posted 3 jobs for IT Network Engineering graduates: Computer Technician, Network Systems Technician, and a Technology Integration Technician.
- A company in Taunton, MA posted a well-paying Co-op opportunity for a student in IT Networking or Cyber Security. The Co-op is full time and pays between $17 – $19 per hour.
- A Massachusetts-based technology staffing company is seeking candidates from: IT Networking, IT Software Engineering, Cyber Security, and Game Development. They have multiple jobs open in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
- A Rhode Island-based staffing company posted a role for a part time Web Developer that would work well for students in the IT Software, Game Development and/or Graphics, Multimedia, and Web Design programs.
- A technology firm in Newport, RI has hired about 10 NEIT grads from Game Development and Simulation Programming and IT Software and just posted 3 more! “We hope to fill all 3 jobs with NEIT grads”.
- A Rhode Island-based insurance company is recruiting for an Assistant Auditor with a Programming background.
- A division of the City of Providence posted a role for a Network Operations Analyst that would be a good fit for Networking and Cyber Security graduates.
- A Public School district in Rhode Island reached out again for a Network Technician. The role was previously held by a NEIT graduate who has taken a new position with a cyber security company in Foxboro, MA.
- A company in Middletown, RI posted multiple jobs for ITN grads. The roles range from Jr. Help Desk, to Sr. Help Desk Technician, to Network Technician. They also posted a Mid-level Systems Admin and a Web Developer role.
- An IT firm posted a well-paying role for a Network Engineer in Providence, RI.
- A local division of the military has posted a position for a Video Broadcaster in the Public Affairs Department.
- A local marketing firm is looking for an ongoing Photographer/Videographer needed for non-profit clients. The first event is the Gloria Gemma Breast Cancer Foundation 3-day walk.
Some of these positions require some years of experience with licenses for Plumbing or HVAC:
- Boston, MA – Power Plant Technician $42/HOUR
- Boston, MA – HVAC Specialist $30 – $35/HOUR
- North Kingstown, RI – General Maintenance Technician
- North Kingstown, RI – Maintenance (mechanical, electrical, metal fabricating, painting, carpentry)
- A sleep center posted a role for a Clinical Medical Assistant. The role is appropriate for a grad from either Clinical Medical Assistant or Electronic Medical Records.
- A local dermatology office recently hired a Clinical Medical Assistant graduate and reached out again to say that they are so happy with her that they are looking to hire another CMA from NEIT!
- A group of recent grads from Medical Lab Technology have found work in their chosen field and are employed at the following hospitals: Morton Hospital, St. Anne’s, Rhode Island Hospital, and South County Hospital.
Surgical Tech’s needed!
- A hospital in New Bedford, MA has 3 openings
- A hospital in Willimantic, CT has 2 openings and is in dire need – Manchester Community College closed their ST program.
- A staffing agency is looking for 4-5 Surgical Tech’s outside of the Boston area to be trained in Cardiac Surgery.
- A contract rehab company based in Fall River, MA has hired many Occupational Therapy Assistant and Physical Therapist Assistant grads and are reaching out again seeking multiple PTAs for roles in Massachusetts.
- A Dog Training Academy posted a full time and part time job as an Assistant Dog Trainer. The roles would work for students or graduates from the Veterinary Tech or Animal Business Management programs.
- A CJ AS degree grad was hired into a union position as a Clerk for United Government Security Officers of America. She starts her new job at a site being built in Wareham, MA.
- RI Airport Corporation Police Department has opened up their recruitment selection process.
- Homeland Security has posted Transportation Security Officers for all airports across the country.
Electrical Technology (7 job postings in 1 week!)
- Control Panel Technician – North Attleboro, MA
- Field Technician – Cranston, RI
- Field Service Engineer – Massachusetts territory
- Alarm Technician – Rocky Hill, CT/Riverside, RI
- Service Technician (Wind Turbines) – Coventry, RI
- Electrical Technician – New York, NY
- Commercial Service Technician – Boston, MA
SkillsUSA is national organization serving more than 264,500 high school and college students and professional members enrolled in training programs in technical, skilled, and service occupations, including health occupations.
SkillsUSA programs include local, state and national competitions in which students demonstrate occupational and leadership skills. During the annual national-level SkillsUSA Championships, more than 4,500 students compete in 77 occupational and leadership skill areas. SkillsUSA programs also help to establish industry standards for job skill training in the classroom.
NEIT is a postsecondary Chapter of SkillsUSA and on Thursday, March 24th RI SkillsUSA held their annual awards ceremony at Veterans Memorial Auditorium. That night we found out who the winners were in their technical areas. First place winners will go on to nationals in Louisville, KY to travel on to the nation championship in June to compete against other college students from all over the country. There the students will compete against top students in their technical area from all over.
We are pleased to announce that we have 7 NEIT gold medalists going on to nationals this year.
1st place: Michael Webb (2nd year in a row)
Crime Scene Investigation – 3 person team
1st place: Shelby Mortin, Mikayla Guarino and Stas Belch
2nd place: Kyle Reis, Courtney Beauchamp and Bevin Bankston
Automotive Service Technology
1st place: Justin Suttles
2nd place: Stephen Harland
3rd place: Jason Driscoll
Industrial Motor Controls
1st place: Zachary Miller
2nd place: Edward DiPasquale
1st place: Nicholas Brecken
Even though it’s break week for students, the job opportunities are still rolling in!
Multiple IT jobs and internships came into the office this week including:
• Technician role for Cyber Security & Information Technology/Network Engineering grads
• 3D Internship opportunities for Game Development/Simulation Programming & Information Technology/Software Engineering students
• Jr. Full Stack Developer role for Information Technology/Software Engineering and Game Development/Simulation Programming grads
• Field Application Engineer for Cyber Security & Information Technology/Network Engineering grads
Graphics, Multimedia & Web Design:
A part-time student level job came in from a print design studio in East Greenwich. All of the skills that they are seeking are skills that GMW students gain including; InDesign, Illustrator, and Publisher.
We also received a role for a Digital Designer for a media company in New Haven, CT.
An automotive service company posted a PowerPoint project job for GMW students to help train candidates in driving school.
A Clinical Medical Assistant position came in from a doctor’s office in Cranston. We are seeing jobs come in on a very steady basis seeking Clinical Medical Assistant’s due to the present shortage of candidates in the field. A recent Clinical Medical Assistant grad said she is “seeing more jobs for CMA’s than there are candidates to fill them!”
Physical Therapist Assistant: Several jobs came in for Physical Therapist Assistants. We get a number of jobs in the New England area as well as jobs from across the US. Jobs this week:
• A sports medicine company in California contacted NEIT looking for PTA graduates. They work almost exclusively with sports medicine related injuries.
• Also received a full-time PTA job for a company in Vermont.
7 Current opportunities for Electrical Technology grads:
• Security/Low Voltage Technician, West Boylston, MA
• Electrical CAD Analyst, Hartford, CT
• Apprentice, Warwick, RI
• Fabricator, Coventry, RI
• Engineering Technician, Attleboro, MA
• Apprentices/Assistant Project Manager, North Billerica, MA
• Installation Technician, Warwick, RI
CAREERS IN THE CONSTRUCTION TRADES!
Northeastern Retail Lumber Association (NRLA) invited faculty and students from Building Construction/Cabinetmaking and Construction Management to attend the Lumber & Building Materials Expo on Friday, 2/12. NRLA organized a light breakfast and a few speakers from the industry: National Lumber, L Sweet Lumber and Douglas Lumber spoke to students about what the world of construction looks like today.
• The 16 students had the chance to visit with show exhibitors and both students and faculty found this to be a great event for making future contacts for job opportunities and learning about new products.
• Joe Sepe, BCC Department Chair has invited 3 companies to come to campus and visit with the students in his class.
• Many of the students commented that they had no idea there were so many different opportunities within the construction/lumber industry once they graduate!
Look at this great Tweet from Douglas Lumber!
We were honored to speak to this great group of men and women from New England Tech this morning at the NRLA expo… https://t.co/8EfNIY9YXY
— Douglas Lumber (@DouglasLumber) February 12, 2016
Here’s a look at our weekly roundup of good news from the Career Services Office!
A local Health Center posted a role for a Clinical Medical Assistant. CMA’s from NEIT have significant opportunities in the job market and medical facilities reach out to the college on a regular basis seeking candidates. Employers often say that they like the NEIT grads because they hold an Associate Degree vs. a certificate.
Surgical Technology currently has 3 hospitals searching for grads. A recent grad was just hired by one of them and they are still looking for more!
A therapy treatment center in RI reached out to NEIT seeking Physical Therapist Assistant graduates. The hiring manager said they have both Occupational Therapy Assistants and PTA’s from NEIT and they are very happy with their training and skills.
A national, full-service B2B Digital Marketing Agency in Massachusetts recently hired a Graphics, Multimedia and Web Design grad and have reached out to NEIT seeking more candidates for additional roles. The grad who works there as a Digital Marketing Associate stated: “This new job is the best I’ve had. I’ve already learned so much.”
The Health Sciences Fair that the Career Services Office held in October is still receiving great feedback from employers! Isabel Cravens, Staffing Specialist from Newton-Wellesley Hospital stated, “I attended a Health Science job fair event at NEIT. I was very impressed by the event and it was wonderful to be able to meet so many students and faculty. One of the positions I always struggle to find qualified candidates for is Surgical Technologist. The OR nurse managers who hire Surgical Techs really like the NEIT program.”
A software company in Massachusetts posted a total of 4 Information Technology jobs with NEIT and they have already hired 2 IT Software Engineering graduates. The recruiter stated that they are “thrilled” with the NEIT candidates.
Digital Media Production graduates have 6 new job opportunities with companies ranging from local news stations, to wedding videographers, to corporate offices.
Upcoming event for Criminal Justice students and alumni: 12 Local Police Departments will be represented at a recruiting event on February 3rd from 11:00a – 1:00p at the CJ building. This event is for NEIT students and Alumni only and is not open to the public.
On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 the Career Services Office teamed up with the Architectural Department to host its first Networking Night for Architectural/Building Engineering, Construction Management, and Interior Design students and alumni. The event featured 16 companies from various parts of the industry who had great information and experiences to share. 13 of our own NEIT alumni were back to represent their employers at the event!
One of the alumni in attendance, Christian Naula, a 2011 Construction Management grad representing Colt Builders, enjoyed the smaller scale of the event, “We definitely saw some interest and what we were looking for. I think it is a good idea to keep it small like it was so we can have more one on one interaction with the students.”
Harris Rebar’s Joe Neal had great things to say about New England Tech and the event, “We spoke with many prospective candidates for our company. We have hired several students over the past 10 years from NEIT and are impressed with the knowledge and understanding the students come out of NEIT [with] ready to tackle the job markets.”
CAM HVAC & Construction, of Smithfield, RI, also had a successful evening stating, “We are so glad that we took the time to attend. It was a great experience.” A graduate from the Construction Management program who met with CAM HVAC & Construction during the event was hired to work for the company by noon the next day! New England Tech would like to thank all those who attended and helped make this event a success.
NEIT Alumni pictured from left to right –
Back row: Greg Winslow – Overhead Door Headquarters, Seth Golbitz – Ryan Iron Works, Paul Berube – Ryan Iron Works, John Sousa – Crabtree-McGrath Associates, Jeremy Rogers – Arden Engineering, Jeremy Boulay – AH Harris & Sons, Instructor Phil Marks
Front Row: Ashlee Acampora – LA-Z-BOY, Christian Vray – CAM HVAC & Construction, Keith Michael – TriMark United, AJ Furtado – Harris Rebar/Barker Steel, Christian Naula – Colt Builders, Kyle Duquette – Thielsch Engineering, Kurt Barone – Berlin Steel
Also represented at the event were Cardi’s Furniture & the Rhode Island Design Center, General Dynamics Electric Boat, and National Lumber.
EAST GREENWICH, RI – Dr. Douglas H. Sherman, Senior Vice President and Provost at New England Institute of Technology (NEIT), announced that the university will offer a free series of Career Exploration workshops designed for individuals interested in exploring various career options. Each Career Exploration Day will feature two to three hands-on workshops giving participants the opportunity to experience firsthand some of the job responsibilities in their field of interest. Faculty, graduates and employers will be on hand to guide students through the activities and to answer any questions regarding potential career paths.
All Career Exploration Days are free of charge and will be conducted on Saturday mornings from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. with lunch available from 12:00 p.m. to 12:30 p.m. The schedule of workshops is as follows:
February 6, 2016: Health Sciences
March 5, 2016: Building Trades
March 12, 2016: Various Management Programs
Sherman stated. “For more than 75 years, New England Tech has offered technical hands-on training to its students. Learning by doing is what drives our more than 50 associate, bachelor’s and master’s degree programs. The goal of the Career Exploration workshops is to offer individuals the opportunity to gain a stronger sense of their career interests through hands-on activities as well as to learn about the education and training that will be required to be successful in the workplace.”
To RSVP or for a complete listing of the programs being offered, visit www.neit.edu/careerexploration or call 401-467-7744 for more information.