Boston Festival of Indie Games is an annual event featuring a variety of electronic entertainment produced by small, New England-based developers. It takes place at MIT and is attended by 3500+ video game enthusiast. This will be New England Tech’s fourth year participating as a sponsor. As sponsors, we exhibit the most recent Video Game Development and Design senior project games. It is a great networking opportunity for the seniors who can meet potential employers and collaborators. Other schools represented are WPT, Becker, and Framingham. We have made a very positive showing.
Here is the latest from the Career Services Office!
ENGINEERING AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY:
- A technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, civil and cyber security markets with offices in MA and RI has multiple Information Technology & Electrical Engineering Technology positions.
- A global aerospace and defense company in CT has design positions for Architectural/Building Engineering Technology & Mechanical Engineering Technology (over 75 openings!)
- A company providing services in medical imaging and information technologies with an office in RI has an Engineering internship and a full-time position for Electronic Systems Engineering Technology and Electrical Engineering Technology.
- A RI-based company considered a leading supplier of semiconductor-based solutions has Engineering internships for Electrical Engineering Technology.
An agency that finds talent for the Naval War College in Middletown, RI posted 5 jobs in the IT field.
A local private college has hired a number of Information Technology grads and they just hired another Information Technology/Software Engineering grad this week who will work as their Database Administrator.
An award-winning telematics solutions company in Massachusetts reached out with a role for a Jr. Systems Administrator. The well-paying role would be a good fit for graduates from Information Technology and Cyber Security.
A local news station posted a position for a Production Assistant and Creative Services Producer
Two different radio station posted positions for a Part-time Board Operator and a Receptionist/Traffic Assistant
A telecommunications company in Englewood Cliffs, NJ posted a roll for an AV Technician
A behavioral health program posted a position for a Multimedia Specialist
A professional signage company in Seekonk, MA posted a full-time job for a Graphic Artist. The grad who held the position previously has gone on to his dream job.
A medical group posted a paid internship for a Marketing/Communications Intern.
A staffing agency reached out with a short term role with a local creative company seeking a candidate with strong package design and Adobe Illustrator.
A Health Center in Warwick, RI posted a role for a Clinical Medical Assistant.
A local dermatology office reached out with a role for a Medical Receptionist. This office has hired several NEIT grads and has been happy with the quality of the candidates.
A contract rehabilitation company posted 2 jobs for PTAs in Rhode Island. Over the years, this company has hired many NEIT graduates.
A public school district in CT has posted a role for a full-time PTA.
A well-known lumber company in Mansfield, MA posted positions for Mill Work Shop Technicians.
A carpentry company in West Greenwich, RI needs Carpenters and Carpenter Helpers.
A framing contractor company in Warwick, RI is seeking an Estimator.
A construction company in Manchester, CT posted a position for a Construction Clerk.
A local staffing agency is recruiting for Carpenters. The recruiter states: “I have several openings with two large construction companies with job sites in the North and South shore.”
GRADS WHO MOVED ON INTO NEW JOBS:
2001 grad – AV Technician at CCRI and the Welcome Manager creating digital publicity at Roger Williams Park Botanical Center
2012 grad – Daytime Video Editor for ABC6 News
2000 grad – Inside Sales Estimator for Arnold Lumber
2013 grad – Assistant Project Manager at Taylor Interior Design
2015 grad – Mechanical Drafter with Creative Environment Corp. division of Thielsch Engineering
May was a busy month for the Career Services Office. Over 330 job leads came through the office marking the most leads in a month so far in 2016!
Here’s a look at job leads that came through at the end of the month:
- An online job board dedicated to the Marine industry currently has close to 100 jobs in the Marine Trades around the country! There are about 25 jobs in MA and RI in jobs ranging from Sales, Office Help, Yard Foreman to Technicians and Charter Boat Captains.
- A Warwick, RI company is looking for a Service Advisor and a Plainville, MA company is looking for a Service Writer from our Automotive Service Management program.
- An automotive group out of Florida took over an existing truck center in East Providence and is looking for Auto Body and Diesel Technicians, Auto Body Painters, Parts, Warehouse and a Service Advisor.
- A Wellesley, MA company needs a few Auto Body Technicians.
- A Bristol, RI company looking for a Body Shop Technician.
- A Brockton, MA company needs a Collision Repair Technician.
- A packaging manufacturer in Johnston, RI posted a Graphic Artist job. They have hired many GMW grads in the past.
- A staffing company posted an entry-level role for a Graphic Artist in Medway, MA.
- A world-class marketing company in Pawtucket, RI posted a role for an Art Director.
- A local Breast Cancer Resource Foundation reached out to NEIT seeking a paid intern from the Graphics, Multimedia, and Web Design program. The candidate would be working on artwork for a book of poetry written by cancer survivors.
- A large investment company in N. Smithfield, RI will have two major hiring events in 2017 and will be looking for Bachelor level candidates primarily from IT Software Engineering and Game Development. They host a program featuring intensive training in North Carolina prior to starting work in RI.
- A Massachusetts Public School district posted 3 jobs for IT Network Engineering graduates: Computer Technician, Network Systems Technician, and a Technology Integration Technician.
- A company in Taunton, MA posted a well-paying Co-op opportunity for a student in IT Networking or Cyber Security. The Co-op is full time and pays between $17 – $19 per hour.
- A Massachusetts-based technology staffing company is seeking candidates from: IT Networking, IT Software Engineering, Cyber Security, and Game Development. They have multiple jobs open in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
- A Rhode Island-based staffing company posted a role for a part time Web Developer that would work well for students in the IT Software, Game Development and/or Graphics, Multimedia, and Web Design programs.
- A technology firm in Newport, RI has hired about 10 NEIT grads from Game Development and Simulation Programming and IT Software and just posted 3 more! “We hope to fill all 3 jobs with NEIT grads”.
- A Rhode Island-based insurance company is recruiting for an Assistant Auditor with a Programming background.
- A division of the City of Providence posted a role for a Network Operations Analyst that would be a good fit for Networking and Cyber Security graduates.
- A Public School district in Rhode Island reached out again for a Network Technician. The role was previously held by a NEIT graduate who has taken a new position with a cyber security company in Foxboro, MA.
- A company in Middletown, RI posted multiple jobs for ITN grads. The roles range from Jr. Help Desk, to Sr. Help Desk Technician, to Network Technician. They also posted a Mid-level Systems Admin and a Web Developer role.
- An IT firm posted a well-paying role for a Network Engineer in Providence, RI.
- A local division of the military has posted a position for a Video Broadcaster in the Public Affairs Department.
- A local marketing firm is looking for an ongoing Photographer/Videographer needed for non-profit clients. The first event is the Gloria Gemma Breast Cancer Foundation 3-day walk.
Some of these positions require some years of experience with licenses for Plumbing or HVAC:
- Boston, MA – Power Plant Technician $42/HOUR
- Boston, MA – HVAC Specialist $30 – $35/HOUR
- North Kingstown, RI – General Maintenance Technician
- North Kingstown, RI – Maintenance (mechanical, electrical, metal fabricating, painting, carpentry)
- A sleep center posted a role for a Clinical Medical Assistant. The role is appropriate for a grad from either Clinical Medical Assistant or Electronic Medical Records.
- A local dermatology office recently hired a Clinical Medical Assistant graduate and reached out again to say that they are so happy with her that they are looking to hire another CMA from NEIT!
- A group of recent grads from Medical Lab Technology have found work in their chosen field and are employed at the following hospitals: Morton Hospital, St. Anne’s, Rhode Island Hospital, and South County Hospital.
Surgical Tech’s needed!
- A hospital in New Bedford, MA has 3 openings
- A hospital in Willimantic, CT has 2 openings and is in dire need – Manchester Community College closed their ST program.
- A staffing agency is looking for 4-5 Surgical Tech’s outside of the Boston area to be trained in Cardiac Surgery.
- A contract rehab company based in Fall River, MA has hired many Occupational Therapy Assistant and Physical Therapist Assistant grads and are reaching out again seeking multiple PTAs for roles in Massachusetts.
- A Dog Training Academy posted a full time and part time job as an Assistant Dog Trainer. The roles would work for students or graduates from the Veterinary Tech or Animal Business Management programs.
- A CJ AS degree grad was hired into a union position as a Clerk for United Government Security Officers of America. She starts her new job at a site being built in Wareham, MA.
- RI Airport Corporation Police Department has opened up their recruitment selection process.
- Homeland Security has posted Transportation Security Officers for all airports across the country.
Electrical Technology (7 job postings in 1 week!)
- Control Panel Technician – North Attleboro, MA
- Field Technician – Cranston, RI
- Field Service Engineer – Massachusetts territory
- Alarm Technician – Rocky Hill, CT/Riverside, RI
- Service Technician (Wind Turbines) – Coventry, RI
- Electrical Technician – New York, NY
- Commercial Service Technician – Boston, MA
On March 10, 2016, the Career Services Office held its annual Technology Career Expo (TechXpo) on the East Greenwich Campus. This event is the largest career event that the college hosts, with hundreds of representatives attending from companies across the region and beyond. This year the event was geared towards students and alumni from Business Management, Criminal Justice, Cyber Security, Digital Media Production, Electrical Technology, Electronics Systems, Electrical Engineering, Game Development/Simulation Programming, Graphics/Multimedia/Web Design, Information Technology – Network Engineering/Software Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Video Game Development/Design. The majority of the companies who attended the event were actively recruiting for positions in their company and provided insight into the many different careers that can stem from earning a New England Tech degree. Several companies had representatives present who were NEIT Alumni themselves, and they did a great job of conveying how their degrees from NEIT helped shape their careers. The alumni were:
• Keith Tingus from ACS Services, Inc.
• Michael Paulhus from Amica Mutual Insurance Company
• Sarah (Renaud) Martone from Brave River Solutions
• Kyle Daun from Compass IT Compliance
• Jeremy Girard from Envision Technology Advisors
• Glenn Barboza, Justin Taylor, and Jarrod Hastie from iAutomation
• Darren Bathgate from Kenzan
• Gary Maccarone from Ocean State Signal Company
• Gregory Winslow from Overhead Door Co. of Providence
• Thomas Battista from Schneider Electric
• Gordon Tempest from Secure Future Tech Solutions
• Mike Esposito from SencorpWhite, Inc.
• Shawn Harmon from Sertex Broadband Solutions
• James Sloan and David Balls from Tech Research Group
• Rory Manier and Robert-Louis Valle from TJX
• Jim Maymon from Tyco SimplexGrinnell
• Jeff Souza and Ronald Roberts from Woodard & Curran
Many of the employers made comments about how impressed they were by the attendees’ professional attire and preparedness during the event, and some students and alumni were even able to secure interviews the day of the TechXpo. New England Institute of Technology would like to thank everyone who attended the event, as well as the volunteers who helped coordinate another successful Career Expo! New England Tech career events are always closed to the public, which makes it a great opportunity to network and make connections with employers who are specifically interested in NEIT students and alumni. Next year will mark the 20th annual Technology Career Expo and we hope to make it our largest and best-attended TechXpo ever!
New England Tech hosts a yearly event called TechArts. TechArts allows students, faculty and staff an opportunity to showcase visual artwork. Artwork can be art created as part of a New England Tech course, as a hobby or even created professionally.
Print out the Art Submission Form, fill it out, and bring it to the Library. Access it here: https://library.neit.edu/…/457…/TechArts-2016-is-almost-here (or pick up a form in the Library.)
Submission forms need to be received by Saturday, March 19th.
For images of past exhibits, check out the 2015 TechArts Catalog here:https://library.neit.edu/About/TechArts
Exciting News from DegreeMatch.org:
New England Institute of Technology has been identified as having one of the best small colleges for ISTP Myers-Briggs personality types in our recent ranking. The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Test (MBTI) is the most common personality measure in the United States. A student with the ISTP personality type is someone who is creative, optimistic, and loves to work with their hands.
The ranking considered overall cost of attendance, student to faculty ratio, inclusion on notable lists, ranking by U.S. News and World Report, and number of ISTP areas of study.
New England Institute of Technology has been ranked as #15.
This ranking highlights the top 30 small colleges for those with an ISTP personality.
The ISTP Personality is referred to as “the Virtuoso” and considered an Explorer. These are people who love to explore the world with their hands. They are “makers” who love to move between projects and take things apart to see how they work. From a very early age, this Myers-Briggs personality type loves to tinker. Some of their best attributes include their optimism, energy, creativity, practicality, knowing how to prioritize tasks; they are excellent in a crisis and remain relaxed at all times. To some they may seem “simple” or not highly intelligent, but this is NOT often the case. This blend of traits makes for a very enigmatic person who can also be spontaneous and unpredictable. Some of their potential negative attributes include being stubborn, insensitive, reserved, easily bored, disliking commitment and sometimes even engaging in risky behavior. Some of the best ISTP jobs include mechanic, engineering, graphic design, forensic science, construction, farming, emergency medicine and landscape architect.
#15 – New England Institute of Technology – East Greenwich, Rhode Island
The New England Institute of Technology is a leader in technical career training in southeastern New England. The institute is a private, non-profit technical college offering associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s and online degrees in more than 40 programs. Each program has been specifically designed based upon contribution from both educators and industry experts. The focus at New England Tech is to “give each student a solid balance: a base of analytical skills with hands-on training.” Most of the bachelor’s degree programs can be completed in as little as 3 years. There are several options for the ISTP personality type at all levels. There are several available associate’s degree options. At the bachelor’s level, the following ISTP degree options are available:
- Architectural Building Engineering Technology
- Automotive Service Management
- Construction Management
- Digital Media Production
- Electrical Engineering Technology
- Game Development & Simulation Programming
- Graphics Multimedia and Web Design
- Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Software Engineering Technology
- Video Game Design
The following graduate level programs are also offered:
- Master of Science in Construction Management
- Online Master of Science Degree in Construction Management
Cost of Attendance: $23,814
Overall School Accreditation:
New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
Student/Faculty Ratio: 13:1
US News and World Report Ranking:
#140 Best Online Bachelor’s Degree Programs
Inclusion on the Following National Ranking Lists:
Complex.com: The 10 Best Trade Schools in America for Aspiring Mechanics – Ranked #7
ISTP Majors: More than 5
Please join us for TECHXPO 2016, our annual Technology Career Expo, on Thursday, March 10, 2016. This event will be held on all three levels of Tech Way on the East Greenwich Campus from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm. This is a private event, open only to NEIT students and graduates, with many companies set to attend. So take advantage of this great networking opportunity! Be sure to have your resumes ready and to dress in appropriate business attire. Current students from all quarters and graduates from the following technologies are encouraged to attend: Business Management, Criminal Justice, Cyber Security, Digital Media Production, Electrical Technology, Electronics Systems, Electrical Engineering, Game Development/Simulation Programming, Graphics/Multimedia/Web Design, Information Technology – Network Engineering/Software Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Video Game Development/Design. If you have any questions, contact the Career Services Office at 401-739-5000 x 3458.
List of attending companies (as of 3/2/2016):
- AAA Northeast
- ACS Services, Inc.
- Amazing Charts
- American Ecotech
- American Surplus Inc
- Amica Mutual Insurance Company
- Applied Physical Science
- Atlantis Pool Service
- Atrion SMB
- BAE Systems
- BEE International
- Bel Air Finishing Supply
- Bio Process H2O, LLC
- Brave River Solutions
- Carousel Industries
- Cat Country 98.1 WCTK-FM
- Claflin Company
- Compass IT Compliance
- Corporate Art Group, Inc
- CoWorx Staffing Services
- Cumberland Police Department
- CW 28 (WLWC-TV)
- Day-O-Lite Manufacturing
- Dell SecureWorks
- Envision Technology Advisors
- Fagan Door Corp
- FM Global
- General Dynamics Electric Boat
- Hope Valley Industries
- Interstate Electrical Services Corporation
- inQuest Technologies
- John Galt Companies
- KVH Industries
- Lockheed Martin
- Mahr Federal, Inc.
- McLaughlin Research Corporation
- Micro Tech Staffing
- Narragansett Bay Insurance Company
- National Engineering Service Corporation
- Network and Simulation Technologies Inc.
- Nordson EFD
- Ocean State Job Lot
- Ocean State Signal Company
- Overhead Door Co. of Providence
- Packaging Graphics, LLC
- Pepsi Beverages Company
- Precision Design Studios
- Rhode Island Army National Guard
- Rhode Island Manufacturers Association
- RIBI Security
- Sara Zarrella Photography
- Schneider Electric
- Secure Future Tech Solutions
- SencorpWhite, Inc.
- Sensata Technologies
- Sertex Broadband Solutions
- Tech Research Group
- Thielsch Engineering
- Tiffany and Company
- Tyco SimplexGrinnell
- Warwick Police Department
- Woodard & Curran
- Wyatt Detention Center
- Yushin America
East Greenwich, RI – Dr. Douglas H. Sherman, Senior Vice President and Provost at New England Institute of Technology (NEIT), announced that the university has been selected for the fifth consecutive year to serve as an official host site for the 2016 Global Game Jam. This 48-hour game design event will be held on January 29-31, 2016. Last year, more than 11,000 gamers participated at nearly 500 jam sites worldwide.
Global Game Jam brings students, faculty, hobbyists and professionals together to team up and create complete, playable games over the course of the weekend. The event will be held at New England Tech’s East Greenwich campus located at One New England Tech Blvd. The official kick-off begins at 3:00 p.m. on Friday, January 29, in the university’s Media Presentation Theater. (The site will close from 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. each day). Registration for this event is free but participants must be 18 years of age or older. To register, visit http://games.neit.edu. For more information on the game jam program, visit www.globalgamejam.org
Sherman stated, “New England Tech is proud to host this international gaming event once again. Competitions such as Global Game Jam test the gaming knowledge of each participant while fostering team building skills that are crucial in the gaming industry. Individuals at all skill levels ranging from novices to advanced gamers will find this event challenging, fun and memorable.”
EAST GREENWICH, RI – Dr. Douglas H. Sherman, Senior Vice President and Provost at New England Institute of Technology (NEIT), announced that the university will offer a free series of Career Exploration workshops designed for individuals interested in exploring various career options. Each Career Exploration Day will feature two to three hands-on workshops giving participants the opportunity to experience firsthand some of the job responsibilities in their field of interest. Faculty, graduates and employers will be on hand to guide students through the activities and to answer any questions regarding potential career paths.
All Career Exploration Days are free of charge and will be conducted on Saturday mornings from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. with lunch available from 12:00 p.m. to 12:30 p.m. The schedule of workshops is as follows:
February 6, 2016: Health Sciences
March 5, 2016: Building Trades
March 12, 2016: Various Management Programs
Sherman stated. “For more than 75 years, New England Tech has offered technical hands-on training to its students. Learning by doing is what drives our more than 50 associate, bachelor’s and master’s degree programs. The goal of the Career Exploration workshops is to offer individuals the opportunity to gain a stronger sense of their career interests through hands-on activities as well as to learn about the education and training that will be required to be successful in the workplace.”
To RSVP or for a complete listing of the programs being offered, visit www.neit.edu/careerexploration or call 401-467-7744 for more information.
The Video Game Development and Design Department held its 6th Annual Power Game Day on October 23rd. The day-long event featured nine guest speakers representing a wide range of companies from small independent developers to large gaming companies, from both the design and programming sectors of the video game industry, presented to more than 160 NEIT gaming students. While most of the presenters were from the New England area, Rod Haxton, a sound engineer from Maryland, and Shota Nakama, a video game music composer who recently returned from a trip to his native Japan, shared their insights with gaming students and faculty. A trade fair was held in the afternoon showcasing new technologies emerging in the field. Students had the opportunity to network with the morning speakers as well. To cap off the day, students enjoyed a “Super Smash Brothers” video game tournament.
In addition, the 2015 Summer Game Jam was held for 24 continuous hours on August 9-10. Thirty‐three students were divided into seven teams. Each team had to design a variety of games from concept through completion incorporating this year’s theme, “Which came first: the chicken or the egg”? One team broke from the video game tradition creating a full table card game, adding a new dimension to the mix.