The 10th season of the Rhode Island FIRST Tech Challenge (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) hosted by New England Institute of Technology(NEIT) is underway. NEIT is looking for technical professionals, educators, parents and all others interested in volunteering. Each season approximately 45 R.I. middle and high school robotic teams design, build and compete in the RI FIRST Tech Challenge.
We need you!
Adult volunteers are assigned key roles to keep the qualifiers and tournament on track. No need to be an expert in robotics or engineering, just a willingness to support our R.I. students in their interest in technology.
Volunteer at a Qualifier!
Teams in R.I. advance to the state tournament by participating in a qualifying tournament. The dates for the qualifiers are 11/14, 12/5, 12/19and 1/9/16. Qualifiers run from 7:30 am until 4 pm. The work is fun and lunch is provided!
Volunteer at the State Tournament!
32 R.I. FTC teams will advance to the RI State Tournament out of 48 teams. The R.I. State Tournament is a held on 1/30/16 with set-up and prep on 1/29/16. Volunteers for State Tournament must have volunteered at one qualifying tournaments.
Hurry! Register with FIRST!
If you are interested in joining in the FIRST fun, you must register as a volunteer through the FIRST system. This information will be sent directly to the RI FIRST Affiliate Partner, Erin Flynn. https://my.usfirst.org/FIRSTPortal/Login/VIMS_login.aspx
Erin Flynn, RI FIRST Affiliate Partner at New England Institute of Technology 800-736-7744 ext. 3462 or by e-mail at email@example.com
Steps to register with the FIRST VIMS Volunteer Program
- Go to the Volunteer Information Matching System (VIMS) – https://my.usfirst.org/FIRSTPortal/Login/VIMS_login.aspx
- Create an account
- Apply to an event
- From Left Hand Navigation, click “Volunteer Role Applications”
- Click the button that says “Apply for an Event”
- Select “FTC”
- Select State/Province – “Rhode Island”
- Press “Find Event”
- You will find the qualifier dates of 11/14, 12/5, 12/19 and 1/9 as well as the 1/29-30 state tournament date listed.
- Select the event and fill out the application.
- Select roles in preference order you would like to apply to (1 being most preferred)
- Select days you are able to volunteer.
- Remember to add additional comments if you have specific restrictions on your time
- Click “Submit”
- You will be returned to the “Volunteer Role Applications” page.
- Repeat steps 3-5 to apply to multiple events.
Attached are in the instructions that can be found on the website as well. They provide screenshots of each of these steps.