ESL Bridge Program for International Students
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Bridge Program at the New England Institute of Technology (NEIT) is a 30-week course which will run in three 10–week sessions. A minimum TOEFL score of 63 will allow you to enter the first 10-week session of the program at the high intermediate level. The program is flexible--you may be eligible to transition out of it in less than 30 weeks. Testing will take place at the end of each 10-week session and, if you attain a level of proficiency that allows you to enter your field of technical studies, you may enter your chosen field of study at the start of the next term.
The ESL Bridge Program will:
- Improve your ability to understand, read, speak, and write English.
- Improve your grammar, so you can communicate accurately and participate successfully in your college courses.
- Cover three levels of English, from high-intermediate to proficient.
- Teach skills and competencies taught at each level to allow you to advance progressively to meet academic requirements.
- Prepare you to begin your college coursework fully in American English.
- Include mastery of spoken and written English so that you can understand and retain your professors' lectures and the contents of your technical labs.
- Include study skills to make you more proficient in managing your time and handling coursework.
- Provide you with the digital literacy needed to help you gain expertise in using technology for college.
- Offer you cultural competency to familiarize you with norms and communication expectations in the American culture.
- Employ a student-centered, participatory approach to teaching in order to engage you and promote active learning.
- Offer additional academic support through tutoring sessions to supplement your individual learning needs.
- In addition to the ESL course, you will take one extra subject each ten-week session--mathematics, science or technology-- which will prepare you to enter your chosen field in technical studies.