Information Technology (IT) is the backbone of business and industry today. Gain hands-on experience in all areas of the field, from programming to software applications to network management and administration. Specialize in either software engineering and web development or cybersecurity and network engineering, and learn to program in languages currently in demand in the workplace.
Associate in Science Degree
The Information Technology Department offers an Associate in Science degree in Software Engineering and Web Development, the field that has become the backbone of business, technology and industry. The department has an extensive set of computer labs for student use to gain hands-on experience in all areas of the field, from programming to software applications to network management and administration.
Software Engineering and Web Development provides depth in business applications, web development and database design. Upon completion of the program, students are qualified to apply for positions in software support, programming, web development, data analysis or a wide range of other entry-level positions or to continue in NEIT's bachelor's degree programs in Software Engineering or Business Management.
In our Introduction to Data Analytics course in the Software Engineering AS program, students will earn the following certificates from DataCamp:
- Data Science for everyone
- Data Analysis in Excel
- Data manipulation with pandas
“Being a software firm, we look for employees with specific skill sets and a good attitude. From our experience, New England Tech students have that combination. As a software firm we need technically inclined people and New England Tech is a great place to go for that type of education.”
Kurt Anderson, Human Resource Director
Andera, Inc., Providence, RI
Mission, Goals and Outcomes
The mission of the Software Engineering and Web Development program is to provide a program that will allow students to pursue an entry-level career in Information Technology and prepare them to further their education in our Bachelor of Science degree program.
- Provide various learning experiences with an emphasis on application of knowledge as it applies to entry level software engineering principles such as proper programming techniques, database design, web design and the integration of the Software Development Life Cycle.
- Provide students with an opportunity to solve software engineering problems in the areas of software development, data base design, and system analysis through the combination of class work, projects, team work and hands-on experiences.
- Provide students with a basic understanding of data analysis.
- Provide students with opportunities to develop their critical thinking skills and social skills as they apply to software development and programming principles.
- Provide an environment that encourages self-learning and the continuation of each student’s education beyond graduation with the goal of furthering each student’s ability to adapt to and incorporate new concepts, ideas, and evolving technologies.
Students will learn to:
- Design and implement algorithms based on sound mathematical and software development principles in the areas of software development, data base design, and system analysis. Assessments will be conducted using exams, projects and performance rubrics.
- Follow and meet objectives of a project plan and recognize the need for adaptation, adjustments, and restructuring of the plan, both as an individual IT professional, and in a team environment. Assessments will be conducted using exams, performance reviews, projects, and reports.
- Gain a basic understanding of the principles of data analysis.
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communications with supervisors, team members and clients. In particular, students should exhibit lucid, clear and concise technical and professional communication as well as be able to communicate complex technical ideas in layman’s terms to non-technically trained people. This will be assessed via reports, self-assessments, instructor observations, peer evaluations, and technical documentation.
- Respect different cultures, customs, and professional technical methods and procedures inherent in an industry with many differences on locality or region. Assessed through instructor observations, peer evaluations and internships.
Associate in Science Degree
- IT 121 IT Visual Communications
- MGM 130 Accounting Fundamentals
- NE 115 Computer and Networking Fundamentals
- NE 121 Windows Networking Essentials
- SE 116 Programming Essentials Using Python
- SE 126 Intermediate Programming Using Python
- SE 133 Introduction to Database Management Systems
- SE 135 Introduction to Data Analytics Programming
- SE 137 Cascading Style Sheets
- SE 245 C#
- SE 247 Introduction to Data Visualization
- SE 256 Web Development Using .NET
- SE 264 User Interface Design
- SE 265 AS Capstone Project
- SE 266 Web Development Using PHP and MySQL
- EN 100 Introduction to College Writing
- EN 200 Workplace Communications
- MA 110 Introduction to College Math
- MA 121 Business Math
- MA 125 Technical Math I
- PHY 200 Physics I and Lab
- ERD 212 Microprocessor Control Systems
- IT 260 Internship
- MGM 105 Effective Teams and Projects
- MGM 133 Principles of Management
- MGM 135 Business Analysis with Spreadsheets
- MGM 210 Marketing Communications
- MGM 230 Planning Your Financial Future
- MGM 243 Career Development
- MGM 264 Sales and Customer Service
- MGM 277 Leadership in Action
- VGD 244 Unity I