Bachelor of Science Degree
The Bachelor of Science Degree in Software Engineering builds upon the knowledge of the associate degree to give students a broader exposure to programming languages, especially object-oriented languages, and deeper experience in database design, development, and implementation.
A key feature of this program is a senior project and the choice between additional coursework or a cooperative learning experience in the final two terms. In the senior project, each student works with a faculty member to develop and present a project that focuses in depth on a particular topic and allows students to bring together knowledge gained throughout the program.
The cooperative learning experience based on industry demand and with the approval of the IT Department Chair may be available during the final two terms of the program. These experiences, which may be paid or unpaid, allow students to receive college credit and to work off campus in an organization where they will practice and enhance their technical skills. Typically, and when available, students will work in the same organization for the final two terms of the bachelor's degree program.
Upon completion of this program, graduates will be prepared to apply for positions such as system developer, analyst, programmer, database specialist, software engineer, web programmer, planner or developer. Students may also choose to continue into the NEIT Master of Science in Information Technology degree program.
“FM Global looks at our relationship with New England Tech as a mutually beneficial partnership. We have ongoing conversations with students and faculty where we learn from each other. A number of New England Tech department heads even have come to our corporate offices to tour our data center. We also have been pleased to see the school take our advice about its curriculum and even implement new courses. The students that FM Global sees from New England Tech are smart, talented and bring to us hands-on skills and abilities to hit the ground running when it comes to IT support. It’s especially rewarding when New England Tech graduates choose to stay in Rhode Island and pursue career opportunities at FM Global.”
Paul Roche, Data Networks Manager
FM Global, Johnston, RI
Providence Business News Article: Demand for Tech Workers to Grow
Bachelor of Science Degree
Program Mission, Goals and Outcomes
The mission of the Bachelor of Science Degree program in Information Technology Software Engineering is to provide students with an opportunity to further their studies in Software Engineering. Graduates of this program are ready to start a career in Software Engineering and are also prepared for lifelong learning.
- Provide various learning experiences with an emphasis on self-learning.
- Provide students with an opportunity to solve software engineering problems in the areas of server side web development, database driven web applications, and using advanced programming techniques.
- Present students with an in-depth look a software design patterns, component based designs and software architectures.
- Provide students with opportunities to develop their critical thinking skills and social skills as it applies to software development and programming principles.
- Provide an environment that encourages self-learning and the continuation of each student’s education beyond graduation with the goal of furthering each student’s ability to adapt to and incorporate new concepts, ideas, and evolving technologies.
- Design and implement software solutions based on sound software engineering principles in the areas of mobile, cloud and web development.
- Develop a software engineering application and be responsible for its management, design and implementation.
- Analyze and effectively visualize large amounts of data using current data science methodologies.
- Utilize current software engineering processes to manage software for a variety of different platforms.
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communications with supervisors, team members and clients. In particular, they should exhibit lucid, clear and concise technical and professional communication as well as be able to communicate complex technical ideas in layman’s terms to non-technically trained people.
- Respect different cultures, customs, and professional technical methods and procedures inherent in an industry with many differences on locality or region.
Bachelor of Science Degree
- IT 374 IT Project Management
- IT 378 Database Management
- SE 373 Advanced Open Source Web Development
- SE 381 Test Driven Development
- SE 385 Java
- SE 391 Android Programming
- SE 394 Algorithms in Software Engineering
- SE 398 Advanced SQL
- SE 402 Design Patterns
- SE 407 Advanced .NET
- SE 409 iOS Programming
- SE 414 Introduction to Senior Project
- SE 417 Software Security
- SE 426 Web Services
- EN 322 Argumentative Research Writing
- EN 421 Technical Communications
- MA 210 Technical Math II
- MA 300 Statistics
- Choose one set: SE 423 Operating Systems & SE 428 Emerging Technologies in Software Engineering and Web Development OR IT 425 Cooperative Learning II
- Choose one set: SE 377 Cloud-Based Application Development & SE 419 Big Data OR IT 415 Cooperative Learning I & SE 425 Senior Project