Boats are big business. Powerboat mechanics is an active and growing industry throughout New England and particularly in Rhode Island. As the only (ABYC) Marine League of Schools in New England – and one of only nine in the United States – New England Institute of Technology (NEIT) offers a unique, multi-faceted associate degree in Marine Technology that sets the region’s education industry standard.
NEIT’s industry-focused, hands-on curriculum builds from its core focus on inboard/outboard marine engine gas and diesel maintenance and repair.
From there, topics covered include specialized areas such as marine drive systems, shipyard safety, management and operations, hull maintenance and repair, marine surveying, marine fuel systems, and marine electronics.
Specific program highlights include:
- OSHA Marine Industry Shipyard Safety
- Forklift Safety & Operations
- Specialized NEIT – Yamaha Marine Outboard engine courses
- Hull Maintenance and Repair, including welding, fiberglass repair, and painting
- The opportunity for an industry internship
- An optional quarter term of study in diesel engine advanced marine technology training
To further help students further their careers, program graduates are eligible for a range of industry-recognized certifications including:
- RIDEM Boat Safety Certification
- OSHA Marine Safety Certification
- Yamaha Technician Certification
- OSHA Forklift Operation Certification
The American Boat & Yacht Council developed the Marine League of Schools to address the marine industry’s need for post-secondary technical education. It assists these few select schools in the areas of curriculum development and instructor training/certification to help ensure that the training provided is relevant and up-to-date. Member schools are held to a higher standard due to their affiliation with ABYC. This targeted, industry-focused knowledge provides graduates with a unique opportunity to propel their careers as marine industry professionals and help them rise above their peers due to their advanced level knowledge.