Graphics, Multimedia and Web Design
Bachelor of Science Degree
GRAPHICS MULTIMEDIA AND WEB DESIGN encourages students to combine a creative imagination and an eye for design with interactive computer graphics applications. Designing for visually creative marketing-driven messages deliverable on both desktop and mobile devices is the goal.
Building upon the core design and technical skills developed in the Associate Degree Program, the Graphics, Multimedia and Web Design Technology (GMW) bachelor’s degree program further prepares students for positions in a wide variety of emerging new media careers. Students will develop interdisciplinary skills combining web content management systems, ePublishing, branding, logo design, packaging design, search engine optimization, web video, animation, and social media marketing. Cross-media delivery via ePub and mobile devices will be emphasized. Creative content development, media literacy, marketing, writing, and UI/UX design, will support each student's “branded” portfolio and personalized career path.
The dynamic combination of skills obtained in the Bachelor of Science Degree in Graphics, Multimedia and Web Design Technology can be employed in a wide variety of fields, including: advertising and promotion, public relations, packaging design, web design, content management systems, ePublishing, social media and other visually creative career paths.
Program Mission, Goals and Outcomes
The Bachelor of Science Degree in Graphics, Multimedia and Web Design Technology builds upon the foundational technology and design skills acquired in the associate degree program. The GMW bachelor’s degree program provides immediately applicable communication skills and creative concept development for today’s responsive media. This includes advanced graphics and web design, ePublishing, and video and motion graphics in support of multimedia and eCommerce marketing. Numerous new media career paths are integrated throughout the program. Each student’s creative conceptualization and personalized portfolio development is the underlying goal.
The GMW program will:
1. Provide learning opportunities for students to acquire the theoretical knowledge, applicable skills and attitude necessary to function as an entry-level multimedia producer, web designer, ePub, or graphic designer.
2. Instill in students the skills for creative conceptualization, media literacy, qualitative analysis, oral and written communication, professional growth and life-long learning.
3. Prepare students to creatively conceptualize and create projects on their own and in collaboration, with each student assuming responsibility for phases of the production process.
4. Prepare students to create and continually upgrade their digital portfolio, deployed via cloud or web server.
GMW students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of various multimedia, web, ePublishing, and mobile software applications to build market-specific content.
2. Recognize effective vs. ineffective elements of UI/UX design.
3. Understand and practice respect for copyright laws and regulations as they pertain to digital creation.
4. Demonstrate effective media literacy, oral, visual, and written communication with supervisors, colleagues, clients (e.g. instructors), and target audiences.
5. Demonstrate effective planning, strategizing, copywriting, budgeting, and marketing of various new media projects.
GMW 300 Web Animation
GMW 301 3D Modeling
GMW 302 Concept Development
GMW 310 Digital Editing I
GMW 311 Motion Graphics I
GMW 312 Motion Graphics Design
GMW 320 Digital Editing II
GMW 321 Motion Graphics II
GMW 322 Typography II
GMW 400 Digital Publishing III
GMW 401 Brand Strategy and Marketing
GMW 402 Package Design II
GMW 410 Mobile Design Strategy
GMW 411 Project Management
GMW 412 Social Media Marketing
GMW 420 Content Management Systems II
GMW 421 Senior Portfolio
GMW 422 Special Topics or Coop Experience
Students transferring from outside institutions are required to take both of these courses, plus any additional prerequisites. Portfolio review transfer credit may be granted for any identifiable equivalencies throughout the program.
GMW 290 Digital Publishing II/Package Design I
GMW 291 Social Media/Web Content Management with WordPress