Launch a bright career with the latest industry knowledge and technology. Our associate degree in Electrical Technology is more than typical electrical apprenticing and "journeyman electrical" training programs.
Here, you’ll learn the science of electricity across a wide variety of industrial applications that will set you apart from the competition. This will allow you to pursue a much wider range of fast-evolving career options such as industrial and manufacturing automation, among many other opportunities.
The curriculum integrates electrical theory and hands-on application. You’ll receive practical training in our leading-edge industry labs taught by experts in the field. This will give you not only the skills to wire and install electrical systems and apparatus, but also the mathematical and practical knowledge to support, explain, and troubleshoot a wide variety of electrical projects.
Our program is different because you’ll get exposure to the full breadth of the electrical industry – from residential wiring through advanced industrial automation programming. You’ll also dive into more sophisticated industry theory, knowledge and hands-on skills training including:
- AC/DC theory
- AutoCAD electrical
- Industrial automation including PLCs, PACs, and HMIs
- Motors and motor control, including variable speed motor drives
- OSHA 10-hr. Construction Card
- Power and control circuit installation – including raceway design/build
- Power transmission, power supplies, and power distribution & drives
- Renewable and sustainable energy - including solar, wind, geothermal, biomass, hydroelectric power and hydrogen fuel cells
- True RMS voltmeters, power meters, OHM & AMP meters and Megger test equipment
Laboratory projects – ranging from elementary breadboard experiments to advanced motor drives and advanced PAC ladder logic programming – provide active learning experiences to develop wiring techniques and to simulate actual job conditions in residential, commercial and industrial environments.
Some of the diverse careers open to graduates are construction electricians, maintenance electricians, power system technicians, electrical research technicians, electrical distribution sales, electro-mechanical technicians, industrial/manufacturing automation technicians, field service engineers, and commercial/industrial electricians. Beyond these traditional career paths, you’ll be qualified to pursue such varied professions that you may not have been aware of, such as:
- Aircraft Maintenance/Radar/Avionics
- Automation Technician
- Biomedical Equipment Technician
- Control Engineer
- Electro-Mechanical Technician
- Fiber-Optic Technician
- Nuclear Generator Test Service Technician
- Photovoltaic Installation Technician
- PLC/PAC Programmer
- Railroad Signal and Switch Operator
- Robot Production Technician
- Satellite Technician
- Specialized Marine Sonar Technician
Want to accelerate your career potential? Further your education and career options by taking an additional term of study – including three courses in renewable and environmental sciences – and secure our associate degree in Electrical Technology with Renewable Energy. Want to lead change in the electrical industry and further enhance your management prospects? Our Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering Technology program will take your knowledge and skills to another level, and truly set you apart from the competition.
Here’s a sample of companies which have hired our graduates:
- Case Automation Solutions
- DuPont Water Technologies International
- Electric Boat Corporation
- F&P Georgia Manufacturing
- General Dynamics
- McLaughlin Research Group
- Millstone Nuclear Power Stations
- National Grid
- RISE Engineering
- Siemens Building technology
- Toray Plastics