Each year, Heating Department Chair Ron Como brings students together with leaders in the heating industry through classroom presentations and site visits during “Industry Links Week”. This year, from September 12th through September 15th, heating students enrolled in the Plumbing/Heating & Gas Technology and Refrigeration/AC Heating & Gas Technology programs were able to visit with several local companies: Heat Transfer Products, in New Bedford, MA, Modine Heaters in West Kingston, RI, and AMTROL, in East Greenwich, RI. During class time, Chief Mechanical Inspector for the RI Department of Labor & Training, Nick Ranone, addressed the class, as well as Henry Roma, Regional Manager for Santoro Oil Company. The heating industry has seen a burst in job opportunities as qualified candidates continue to be in high demand across all trades. New England Institute of Technology would like to thank all of the companies who were involved in making Industry Links Week a success!
What is WordCamp, and especially what is WordCamp RI?
What to Expect at WordCamp RI
- It’s about everything WordPress
- The content of sessions is firmly focused on using, and developing for, WordPress
- For using WordPress there are sessions about Blogging, Business, and Creating content
- Developing for WordPress means sessions about how to use code to create a unique website
- Create your own apps
- Learn the latest in online security
- Buy Your Tickets HERE
The best bargain you’ll get all year
WordCamps are meant to be low-key local gatherings that are affordable — cheap, even — to allow people from all walks of life to attend, meet, share, and learn. Sponsorships and donations make this possible, keeping ticket prices low. WordCamp RI is one of the best bargains around.
John Maeda, the Global Head of Computational Design and Inclusion at Automattic (the company behind WordPress and numerous other web platforms), will be speaking on Saturday, October 1st. Maeda is an American executive spearheading a new convergence across the design and technology industries. He previously served as Design Partner at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, a world-leading venture capital firm. An internationally recognized speaker and author, his books include The Laws of Simplicity, Creative Code and Redesigning Leadership. He holds degrees in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from MIT, an MBA from Arizona State U, and a PhD from University of Tsukuba in Japan.
Making connections, promoting collaboration
Getting to meet and learn from other WordPress users face-to-face is one of the main reasons people attend WordCamps. In addition to the workshops and sessions, WordCamp RI has a Happiness Bar staffed with experienced WordPress volunteers who try to help fellow attendees with their WordPress questions. Not only learning from each other, attendees often find new collaborators, employees/employers and potential co-conspirators in the WordCamp crowd. These new relationships can lead to exciting WordPress projects throughout the year.
Locally organized and focused
Each individual event is organized by local WordPress users, developers and fans.
It is generally acknowledged that participating in WordCamps is one of the easiest and most enjoyable ways to give something back to the WordPress community. Each WordCamp is operated by tireless volunteers, from the organizers who plan it all to the volunteers who work the event and the speakers who donate their time to teach you new things. It takes a lot of people to make a WordCamp happen, so remember to thank the volunteers who made it possible.
Fun. Fun! More fun!!
We almost forgot to mention the most obvious part of WordCamps: they’re fun! You’ll meet people who are crazy smart, insanely inspired and inspiring, and maybe even a handful of talented singers. Most WordCamps follow the conference with an After-Party at a nearby location where you can mingle with your new friends and hatch your (WordPress-based, of course) plot to take over the world.
What will happen at WordCamp RI
Both Friday and Saturday there will be the Happiness Bar (a.k.a. Help Desk) where you can sit down with a volunteer and work on the answers to your WordPress questions. Laptops are welcome!
Friday is Workshop Day
Make sure you bring your laptop!
There will be both intermediate and advanced coding sessions going on all day Friday. In addition, there will be two beginner workshop tracks. Each track will take you from start to finish for your very own blog, website, or online portfolio.
One beginner workshop will be for those who want to focus on what they put on their website or blog or portfolio. They want to leave coding to someone else. By the way, these websites range in price from free to moderately priced.
The other beginner workshop is for those who like a little more control over how their website will operate. These websites range from very low to moderately priced.
Information about the price is provided during the workshop so that you’ll know what your options are. WordCamp RI will not be collecting any money, nor does it receive any compensation, for any website services you might decide to purchase.
Saturday is Seminar Day
Saturday you’ll have the chance to attend a variety of 45-minute seminars throughout the day. The topics will range from developer coding to creating content to best business practices.
- Lunch is included each day
- There is an After-Party at the close of the conference on Saturday.
- All of these elements are included in the price of your ticket!
About the Venue
New England Institute of Technology is hosting WordCamp RI for the second year at its newest campus. The address is One New England Tech Boulevard, East Greenwich, RI.
Past attendees have raved above the facilities. Many positive responses included:
“New England Institute of Technology was without doubt *the* best host possible.”
“Parking was superb. Location superb. Size of building was fantastic.”
“This venue was very nice and the facilities were top notch.”
“The venue was the best I’ve ever been to for Wordcamp, particularly because of free parking how easy it was to find. There were screens all over the place with helpful event information.”
“Everyone was helpful, nice and cooperative. I could easily tell where to go and the venue was AWESOME!”
“Wifi access was good. There were both stairs and elevators. Facility clean and neat. Good restrooms. Free parking. Easy to find.”
“Wonderful facility, everything was easily accessible, volunteers were extremely helpful.”
“Extremely helpful & friendly volunteers, gorgeous facilities, delicious lunch.”
“The venue, NEIT was really comfortable, and the staff helpful.”
“New England Tech was a beautiful, modern locale that accommodated all the concerns of WordCamp.”
“Perfect setup for this conference – places to congregate informally, theater was the right size. Plenty of places to plug in in classroom and theater. Lots of opportunity and incentive to meet and talk with new people.”
“I wish we could have one at this venue every 3 months!”
We look forward to seeing you at WordCamp from Friday, September 30 & Saturday October 1, 2016.
For more information and to purchase tickets visit https://2016.rhodeisland.wordcamp.org
#wordcampri #wordcamp #wordpress
Here’s the latest from the Career Services Office:
- Production Assistant/Master Control Engineer at WLNE/ABC6, Providence, RI (Digital Media Production)
- Assistant Public Information Officer (responsible for video, web and social media content) for the RI Office of Attorney General (Digital Media Production)
- Surgical Technologist at Newport Hospital – as a result of working so hard during her clinical, she’ll start immediately after graduation in September!
- A large insurance company in, RI contacted NEIT to announce an upcoming Career Fair for IT graduates. Many NEIT graduates are currently working with this company and they are hoping to get more!
- A local communications company is coming on-campus to recruit IT candidates for Technical Support roles. They need to hire 20 Techs by the end of September! Many of the managers at this company are NEIT graduates!
- A public school system in Massachusetts is hoping to find candidates for an IT Support role with their group of 13 schools. The person who held the job previously was an IT Networking grad and he is moving into a higher level role.
- A private school in E. Greenwich, RI posted a part time IT internship that works well for an IT Networking or Cyber Security student. They had an NEIT student who moved onto a bigger and better role.
- A Cyber Security company out of W. Warwick, RI posted 2 roles for IT Auditors – ideal for CYBT graduates.
- A company in Providence, RI posted Level II IT Support Professional job – relates well to grads from IT Networking and Cyber Security.
- A local news station posted 2 positions: Creative Services Producer and Producer
- A media company based in East Providence, RI is looking for a General Sales Manager and part time Promotions/Street Team
- A media company in Cranston, RI is looking for Video Editor/Motion Graphics
Part time/Internships in Digital Media Production:
- Warwick, RI: Sales Marketing Rep with experience in video content publishing
- Providence, RI: Video Production/Graphics intern
- Providence, RI: Videographer and Marketing /Social Media Marketing
- A local furniture company posted a role for a Marketing Intern. They need someone who can produce graphics and flyers for their monthly promotions. The role is paid/part time and great for someone in Graphics, Multimedia and Web Design who would like to gain experience in the field.
- Mechanical Designer in Prov., RI; $50-70K
- Jr. Mechanical Engineer for a client in Warwick, RI
- Manufacturing Methods Technician in Woonsocket, RI
- Manufacturing Engineer (BS degree) in Wrentham, MA
- Students needed for a part-time CAD Drafter (20hrs/week) in North Kingstown, RI
- Organization in Warwick, RI seeking a Mentor Program Coordinator
- Office in Providence, RI recruiting for 3 Clerical Intake positions
- Nursing Students & Graduates – Job Fairs for RN’s:
• Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Providence, RI on September 8th
• Access Point RI, Cranston, RI on September 12th
- A Physical Therapy facility in Taunton, MA posted a role for a Physical Therapist Assistant. One of the co-owners of the facility is a graduate from the PTA program!
**NEIT’s annual Health Sciences Fair is being held Thursday, October 20, 2016, from 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM on the East Greenwich Campus. This event is for NEIT Students and Graduates only and is not open to the public.
Boston Festival of Indie Games is an annual event featuring a variety of electronic entertainment produced by small, New England-based developers. It takes place at MIT and is attended by 3500+ video game enthusiast. This will be New England Tech’s fourth year participating as a sponsor. As sponsors, we exhibit the most recent Video Game Development and Design senior project games. It is a great networking opportunity for the seniors who can meet potential employers and collaborators. Other schools represented are WPT, Becker, and Framingham. We have made a very positive showing.
Here are some examples of jobs that came through the Career Services Office this week, including newly hired grads!
- Health Information Technician at Kent Center, Warwick, RI (EMR) – grad had 2 offers in 1 day!
- Jr. Developer for Teknor Apex, Pawtucket, RI (ITS) company is paying for Master’s degree!
- 3 developers hired by Seczetta, Newport, RI (GDS) – company has hired approx. 12 NEIT grads
- Assistant Project Manager hired by Innovative Construction, Tiverton, RI (CMT) Sept. grad.
- Wind Turbine Tech hired by Vensys, Coventry, RI (ELY)
- Owner of a body shop in Providence, RI liked the Auto Collision Repair grad that is currently working for him so much that he is now looking for an Automotive Technician.
- Framingham, MA – Fleet Technician for basic repair of diesel trucks and forklifts
- Providence, RI – Part Time Auto Body Detailer
- Branford, CT – Oil Lube Techs, Technicians, & Valets
- Hamden, CT – Collision Repair Technician
- East Providence, RI – Technician
- Cranston, RI – Entry Level Technician
- Wakefield, RI – Entry Level Technician
- Cranston, RI – Diesel and Sr. Diesel Mechanic
- Sunapee, NH – Technician for classic cars and trucks
- Southeastern MA and all of RI – Management Trainee, Car Detailers & Drivers
- Bristol, RI – Collision Repair
- Warwick, RI – Automotive Technician
- New Rochelle, NY – Marine Technician; pay ranges from $30K to $100k
- North Kingstown, RI – part time Deckhand
- Marblehead, MA – Marine Technician
- Cataumet, MA – Marine Technician
- Chatham, MA – Several openings for Marine Technicians and also for Marine Yard Personnel
- A holistic veterinarian’s office in Bristol, RI is recruiting Vet Tech. The field continues to be very strong with a significant number of job opportunities.
- A veterinary center in Cumberland, RI is seeking a Vet Tech. They stated that there is a shortage of Vet Techs and they are hoping to hire someone with the skills acquired from NEIT.
- Medical Assistant grads continue to be in very high demand in RI, MA, CT and throughout the US.
- Company in Norwood, MA is seeking RC graduates.
- Franklin, MA – seeking Engineering Technician (Electronic Systems Engineering Technology)
- Canton, MA – seeking Production Engineering Lead (Mechanical Engineering Technology)
- Providence, RI – seeking Mechanical Designer (Mechanical Engineering Technology)
- A company in North Providence, RI posted a Paid Internship for a Cyber Security student. The previous CYBT student was subsequently hired by the company.
- A company in Providence, RI posted 2 openings: Sr. Software Engineer and Python Developer – ideal for Information Technology/Software Engineering or Game Development/Simulation Programming grads.
- A Warwick, RI company posted a role for an IT Help Desk Team Leader. The director of IT for this company happens to be an NEIT grad who started his work there in an internship. The company has hired many interns and grads from Information Technology/Network Engineering and Cyber Security.
Here are some examples of jobs that came through the Career Services Office this week:
- A local news station is recruiting for an Editor and Photographer
- A venue management company is seeking a Production Manager
- A media outlet is recruiting students for Part Time Board Operator
- A public access television network is recruiting a Staff Producer
- A local university posted a position for a Digital Media Production Videographer & Editor
- Help Desk Candidate that would work on a short term assignment in Connecticut. This position can help to really build a resume for IT Networking and Cyber Security graduates.
- A role for an IT Desktop Support / Audio Visual Tech. This position works well for a student who is in the IT Networking or the Cyber Security program.
- A role for a Software Programmer that is a good fit for graduates from the IT Software or Game Development programs.
- Tiverton, RI – Assistant Project Manager travel required
- North Attleboro, MA – Drafter
- Providence, RI – Drafting Intern
- Taunton, MA – CAD Drafter
- Bellingham, MA – Drafter/Detailer
- Cranston, RI –3 Drafters
- Johnston, RI – Entry Level Safety Coordinator
- Warwick, RI – Laborer
- Saunderstown, RI – Carpenters
- Portsmouth, RI – Finish Carpenter
- A company based in Warwick, RI hired another grad as a Plumbing Apprentice. This is the 12th Apprentice hired since 2013. They hire both Refrigeration/AC Heating & Gas Technology and Plumbing/Heating & Gas Technology graduates.
- Plumbing company in Cranston, RI is seeking Apprentice candidates
- A water treatment company in Wyoming, RI is recruiting for a Service Technician
- Wallingford, CT – Mechanical/Electrical Designer (Mechanical Engineering Technology/Electrical Engineering Technology)
- Franklin, MA – Seeking Engineering Technicians at two different companies (Electronic Systems Engineering Technology)
- Cranston, RI – Power Electronics Engineer & Electrical Engineer (Electrical Engineering Technology)
- A nursing and rehabilitation facility in West Warwick, RI listed a part time Activity Aide for a health care student.
- Providence, RI facility – has an opening for a Surgical Technologist
- Milford, MA facility – has 2 Surgical Technologist openings
- A staffing agency is looking for candidates to handle phone support for customers regarding their medications.
- A Rhode Island optical dispensary is offering strong pay along with a benefit package and will also provide extra training in ophthalmology.
- An eye care center in Dartmouth, MA is offering benefits and are willing to train a CMA so that he/she can gain additional skills in ophthalmology.
- Bayada Home Health Care in Providence, RI has a new Pediatric Residency Program for RN’s – next class begins in September.
- A Johnston, RI facility is recruiting for a part time RN position.
- A growing rehabilitation facility has jobs in several locations throughout RI and CT.
- A nationwide rehabilitation facility sent a flyer to NEIT stating they have jobs open across the US including: RI, CT, & MA.
Here’s the latest from the Career Services Office:
- Physical Therapist Assistant at Bodymechanix, Wakefield, RI
- 2 Occupational Therapy Assistants at Encore Rehab and a travel agency in NY state
- Videographer/Editor at Fellowship Health Resources, Smithfield, RI
- Surgical Technologist at Kent Hospital hired
- Electrical Apprentice for a contractor in Milford, MA
JOBS THAT CAME IN THIS WEEK
- AutoCAD Detailer in both Pawtucket, RI and Milford, MA
- Maintenance Supervisor in Groton, CT combines Construction Management and Refrigeration/AC Heating & Gas
- Cabinet Maker in Cranston, RI
- Part time Drafter in Central Falls, RI
- Multiple Carpenters in Seekonk, MA
- Part-time Construction Safety Clerk in Cranston, RI
- Part-time Assistant Construction Estimator in Providence, RI
- Service Field Engineer in Cumberland, RI (with job training in Italy!) – Electrical Engineering Technology
- Quality Control Technician in Fall River, MA – Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Documentation Specialist in Providence, RI – Mechanical Engineering & Electrical Engineering Technology
- Engineering Technician Internship in Franklin, MA – Electronic Systems Engineering Technology & Electrical Engineering Technology
- Entry-level IT Support Engineer in Providence, RI that will work for both IT Networking and Cyber Security
- 3 month IT Support role in Providence, RI
- PHP Web Developer in Providence, RI – IT Software, Game Development/Simulation Programming or Information Technology – Master’s Program.
- 2 paid IT internships for IT Software and Game Development/Simulation Programming students. The company is in Newport, RI and has hired over 13 NEIT graduates and they hope to be able to hire more grads by starting them as interns.
- .NET Application Developer – this Newport-based company hired an NEIT candidate last month and now want another one!
- Local outlet store is looking for an Ecommerce Specialist which is a great fit for GMW grads.
- Technician in Exeter, RI to work on State Police vehicles
- Technicians needed throughout New England at an Auto Care chain
- Several openings for Frame Technician and Auto Body Technician in North Kingstown, RI
- Plant Operator in Newport, RI with a mechanical background
- Technicians in North Kingstown, RI for full or part time
- A health care facility in Cranston, RI is seeking an OTR – Occupational Therapy – Master’s Program.
- A medical equipment and supply company is seeking a Respiratory Therapist – Respiratory Care.
- A medical office in Lincoln, RI is seeking a Clinical Medical Assistant.
- A non-profit corporation in Warwick, RI is seeking a Health Information Technician that is a great fit for graduates from the Electronic Medical Records.
- A Primary Care facility in Massachusetts posted two PTA roles with NEIT. Our Physical Therapist Assistant grads continue to have significant opportunities for employment.
- A company in Riverside, RI is looking for part time Security Officers
- Several Rhode Island Police Departments are now accepting applicants for their recruitment drive.
New England Tech is well aware of the lack youth interest in careers in engineering and science fields. This is why we proudly support efforts to improve interest in STEM programs, including participating in U.S. Naval War College’s (NWC) Starship POSEIDON Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) camp.
“This program is designed to offer students the opportunity to experience science and technology as real applications in the Navy,” said Lewis Duncan, NWC provost. “The United States currently has a deficit of engineers and scientists and we need them to keep our country on the leading edge of technological progress, so programs like these are an essential investment in our shared future.” Read More
Wondering what types of careers that are available in manufacturing and shipbuilding? This presentation breaks it down including how Rhode Island and New England Tech are partnering with General Dynamics Electric Boat to help them meet their growing needs for a skilled workforce.
“New England Tech (NEIT) is pleased to continue to assist Governor Raimondo and her economic and workforce development team in creating a pipeline of qualified workers for Electric Boat. Preparing NEIT students for employment is rooted in our 76-year history and mission. In the past ten years, New England Tech has more than 13,000 Associate in Science, Bachelor of Science and Master of Science graduates who have gone to work for nearly 5,000 employers, one-half of which are located in Rhode Island.” – NEIT President Richard Gouse