Tips for Applying for FAFSA Online
1. You (and your parents, if applicable) will need to create your federal student aid IDs at https://fsaid.ed.gov When you create the Federal Student Aid ID for the first time it may take 3 days for it to become active. Your Federal Student Aid ID must be active for you to electronically complete, sign and submit your FASFA. If you previously had a Federal PIN created, you will be able to link that PIN to your new Federal Student Aid ID on that site.
2. Go to studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa to begin your 2019-20 FAFSA.
3. Before completing the FAFSA, it will be helpful to gather the following information. The 2019-20 FAFSA requires income data from the 2017 tax year (two years previous to the FAFSA year):
• Your 2017 W-2 Form, final pay stub from 2017 and other records of money earned.
• Copies of your (and your spouse's, if you are married) 2017 Federal Income Tax Return - IRS Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ.
• Your parents' 2017 Federal Income Tax Return (if you are a dependent student).
• Your 2017 untaxed income records - Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, welfare, or veterans benefits records.
• Your alien registration number or permanent residence card (if you are not a U.S. citizen).
4. When asked to add school codes to your FAFSA, enter 007845 (New England Institute of Technology’s federal school code).